Can you tell a betta's temperament before buying it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enco

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,
I am planning on getting a betta fish and was thinking of some possible tank mates, mainly being a shoal of cories. I've often heard that many tank mate options are always going to be a gamble because it depends on the particular fish's personality.

Well, before I go out and buy an aggressive, incompatible betta... I was wondering if there is any way to spot a betta that has a more mellow personality? I know that sounds really silly, but I figured it can't hurt to ask. :lol:

IMO there's really no way to tell for sure until they are settled into their new home. What can help is to put the other fish in first and introduce the Betta last so he doesn't think the tank is his and won't allow any new tank mates.

I always put my finger by their cup and see if try flare or strick it. I always get the mild betta that just swim with other betta

Hello,
I am planning on getting a betta fish and was thinking of some possible tank mates, mainly being a shoal of cories. I've often heard that many tank mate options are always going to be a gamble because it depends on the particular fish's personality.

Well, before I go out and buy an aggressive, incompatible betta... I was wondering if there is any way to spot a betta that has a more mellow personality? I know that sounds really silly, but I figured it can't hurt to ask. :lol:

Best bet is if u go to your lfs and pick one out that they got in tanks with other fish already ( if your lfs does this)

All the bettas I've had and I've bred them. The males were friendly if kept with other species. They were only a problem with other bettas.

I've kept bettas with corries and they were usually ok. You have to watch the corries more than the betta. They are a bit boisterous.

Cories and betta are usually right to co-exist assuming it's a 20G or so.

Thank you everyone for the replies! I found all of your advice to be very helpful. I feel more confident about tank mates now. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom