Can you tell me what this is on my new LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonmerlin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is a fleshy "bag" about 3" or so. I sort of looks like a Shark egg in the LFS but I am no expert and just might have my hopes up. It is not moving or roting as far as I can tell after 4 days. The color is a bit off as this was taken with just the Actinic lighting on. I'll try and get a better picture if it is too bad to tell.

se.jpg

Try turning off all the lights, I have found that my pictures come out better with the flash doing the work. It's hard to tell from that picture but it might be a sponge.

I've never seen a sponge like that. It "seemed" to move a bit when I touched it today while cleaning the dead stuff off the rock.

Here is a better pic:

lr4.jpg

I have been a professional diver for many years. To me, this looks like a small scorpion fish, but that could be due to a low resolution. Try to nudge it with a net or something like that. If it is a scorpion fish it will swim away. They can be a little dangerous for a reef tank. They wont eat corals or anything like that, but crabs and tiny fish that it can swallow whole are in absolute peril.

Andrej

No it is attached to the rock and has since I got it. The stuff growing around it is what might make you think that. It is a fleshy pouch on the rock and has not moved off the rock. It does seem to wiggle a bit every one in a while or when touched.

Back
Top Bottom