Can you tell what snail this is yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SSmith4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you tell what this snail is yet?
I think there were snail eggs in moss balls I bought, as I had nothing in a new tank that I set up apart from water, substrate and moss balls. One day I squeezed the moss balls and a few days later noticed loads of baby snails.
Although they're still very small and had to use a magnifier on my phone to photograph them, so not very clear, but was wondering if anybody might have an idea what kind of snail they could be?

I'm hoping they're not apple snails, as it says online they eat plants, but I will keep them in there anyway no matter what they are as they keep the glass clean. Although it says online that apple snails lay eggs at the top of the tank, so not sure if they would lay eggs in moss balls.

I haven't heated the tank yet. It's just at room temperature, but the snails seem fine. Would be useful to know if they're tropical snails and if they need a heated tank. Although I was going to get mountain minnows that don't need a heater.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 18
  • untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 13
Oh didn't read the whole thing. For sure not Apple snails.

The room temperature would be fine for these snails, they can produce eggs and the cooler temperatures being without a heater is good and shouldn't be too much trouble if you don't over feed.

And not wanting to upset anyone, but you can squish them in the tank for fish food, or find a hobbyist near you who keeps certain snail eating Loaches (like Yoyo or Clown Loaches) or Pea Puffers and share the bounty.

A lower number say up to about 10ish would be a reasonable number to get to, after that you don't need more for the 20-40G tank size range.

They are good cleaners but too many just add to tank cleaning chores. They are not really an issue for the bioload in the tank but they make teensy tiny poops. A smaller number have benefits of interest and cleaners. I love these, they are attractive and get a nice size like max half inch. Usually not that big.

Back
Top Bottom