Can you un-fowl water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I had no inhabitants in this tank and I basically left it alone for a few months...the water has really fowled up and now has a filmy white layer on top. I didn't want to add anything to the tank (too busy) but I didn't want to waste a perfectly mature tank. So...my question is...can I fix this?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

100% water change should do it and turn the filter on if it isn't running.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's not running. Ok thank goodness! I thought all those months would be a waste! Glad it will be ok!

It's not running. Ok thank goodness! I thought all those months would be a waste! Glad it will be ok!

Your bacteria colony will definitely be reduced some so you should probably dose some ammonia and check the cycle is still intact before adding fish.

Why would not still be cycled? I'm not disagreeing but how does it happen?

The bacteria need the constant supply of waste from the fish because their numbers based on that as well as O2 in the flowing water as they are mostly aerobic.

I love my fish!!!

Why would not still be cycled? I'm not disagreeing but how does it happen?

Bacteria need ammonia to live: reduce ammonia production, then the bacteria population reduces. It doesn't take long to build up if you have even a small cycle present.

That's right! Having a blonde moment there (except for that I'm not blonde) Hahaha

There's still some fish food bits and poop so I'm thinking the cycle should be fine since the junk continues to rot.

This is kinda interesting. Did you do any parameter check before doing the 100% water change? I'm just curious if you DID have BBs there after all.

Keeping my sleeves wet...

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

There's still some fish food bits and poop so I'm thinking the cycle should be fine since the junk continues to rot.

OUCH!!!!

Please, change the water. Yes the junk will continue to rot along with the water.
The cycle is in your filter once it gets established and once it keeps running providing oxygen to the "beneficial" bacteria. I'm sure there is bacteria in your tank right now but there's nothing beneficial about it.

Not much food at all but I threw in a few freeze dried foods to keep the cycle going after I sold my fish. I went to bed last night and never checked the water or anything so that will be my project today! I will give you guys an update later.

I'm sure it's still cycled, just clean it up and use fresh water..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

YESSSS!!!! I can't believe this...but all my parameters are perfect! In fact they were better than when I was actually maintaining the tank! How is this possible? I guess I got lucky!

YESSSS!!!! I can't believe this...but all my parameters are perfect! In fact they were better than when I was actually maintaining the tank! How is this possible? I guess I got lucky!

Probably because you fiddled with it too much. That's what I did for my first few months then I got control over myself and let the bacteria do it's work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom