Can you use macroalgea collected on the beach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Dai Phan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all,

I frequently visit Myrtle beach and I see alot of green and red macroalgea (yellow too) washed ashore. Close inspection indicates they are in good condition (not decomnposing). I wonder if you can rinse these off then use them in the sump? They are different than what I typically seen in LFS. DP

PS: How about sand too? I may upgrade my tank to a 240 gallon and that will save me some bucks.

I seem to remember a thread on this issue a while back, and the general consensus was that it's not a good idea. heh. I can't recall the specifics.

Maybe somebody can expand on this and clarify.

As far as the sand goes, It may even be illegal to take sand off the beach. But if you could get away with it, I imagine a VERY thorough cleaning and sterilizing would make it safe.

Generally it's not a good idea because of the probability of contamination. Can you do it and it be ok? Maybe, but with the investments we make into our systems most people prefer to not chance it.

Back
Top Bottom