Canister filter comparisons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is the best canister filter and why? Also are the brand names (fluval fx5, eheim pro) really any better than a standard canister with the same lph rating? All opinions appreciated :)

In my personal opinion, it's difficult to go terribly wrong with any of the offerings from the leading brands out there.

Each have their pros and cons, so I think it comes down to a personal choice based on features and cost.

Best!

Ok thanks, but what about the cheap non brand 1? My parents have got a cheap one from eBay and it seems to work virtually the same it's just the build quality doesn't feel as good, but from a filtration point of view are the brands really better?

I can only vouch for the one I have, the Rena XP3. I love it, setup was easy, it does the job well, it has never given me issues, loads of room for lots of bio media, maintenance is easy.

I am always willing to spend more money to have a product that has higher consumer reviews and usually will go with a brand name that is well recognized.

I run a fluval 206 and really like it.

Quiet running and easy maintenance.

3 Cartridge bays for your own personal choice of media.

Great filter!!!

Jon

Eheim Ecco Pro 300, stacks of room for media in the separate trays, very very quiet, reliable, easy priming, spare parts in most shops, stacks of companies make Eheim sized filter foam, pads etc so keeping it running is cheap and very good from an electrical wattage point of view.

I run a Fluval FX5, Fluval 406, and a Fluval 405. Never had problems with any of them, lot of space for media, easy to use with built in shut off valves and quick connects which makes maintanence easy. I will say that the 06 series has made some good improvements over the 05 series. You only need the FX5 if you have a big tank, its pretty big and is heavy as all get out to move when it needs maintenance.

So you all think that the brands are the better option, but does the effectiveness of filtration change with the price tag? Will a cheap filter give the same mechanical and biological filtration?

Possibly but is it going to last if made cheaply? Are you going to wake up one morning to find it just stopped running when its not very old, the motor breaks, the housing leaks? Yes, this can happen with brand names on ocassions but brand names ones have solid reputations behind them and will stand behind their products. Your not only paying for the name but the products reputation as being a well build top of the line product. For me knowing companies have been making and improving them for years and make them with quality materials makes paying more worth it for me. It all comes down to what you feel comfortable buying and what you want to pay for it. Any filter is going to filter water. Is the inner configuration going to allow for good filtration...? For me I have used Fluvals since the 80's. Over the years I have seen so many improvements and upgrades I know how well they work, filter, and last. Just ask yourself do you want to spend the money for that kind of quality? Its really as simple as that.

LyndaB said:
I can only vouch for the one I have, the Rena XP3. I love it, setup was easy, it does the job well, it has never given me issues, loads of room for lots of bio media, maintenance is easy.

I am always willing to spend more money to have a product that has higher consumer reviews and usually will go with a brand name that is well recognized.

Exactly.

Thanks for all of the replies, I guess everyone has a brand they trust and are familiar with :) I will have to look at a few and see what I like the look of.

You almost always get what you pay for.

If you're spending hundreds of dollars and hours of your life on a tank why would you suddenly skimp on a canister filter and risk all that for the sake of a couploe of bucks.

Back
Top Bottom