Canister Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katiekelsey

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just removed my hob filter and u/g filter. I replaced it with a canister filter. It is very quiet now that I'm not using the 2 ower jets for the u/g filter.
Do I need to use an air pump & air stones when using a canister filter? I was used to seeing so many bubbles from the 2 power jets. The tank is so quiet now!

I just removed my hob filter and u/g filter. I replaced it with a canister filter. It is very quiet now that I'm not using the 2 ower jets for the u/g filter.
Do I need to use an air pump & air stones when using a canister filter? I was used to seeing so many bubbles from the 2 power jets. The tank is so quiet now!
Enjoy the tranquility! I love my canisters :)
Position your spray bar just below the surface. You want ripples, but not splashing.
What kind of fish do you have? What size tank? Is it planted?
Also, did you transfer your media from your previous filters into your canister?
If you have a nonplanted tank running an airstone wouldn't hurt. If you have goldfish you should run one IMO.

I have a 45 gal with a rainbow shark, some tetras, danios, a catfish, etc. It is a lot quieter with the canister. Even though I seeded the new media I have some issues now. Ammonia and nitrites were high tonight. I added a bottle of bacteria and I did a large water change. I should have run both filters together for a week instead of trying to seed the new filter's media. I'll keep a close eye on it. I don't want to lose any of the fish. I've had them for over 4 years. I have plastic plants.

I've never put much stock in "bottled bacteria". You could even place the used media from your other filters in your tank if they won't fit in your canister.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom