Canister or aquaclear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWFishTanks

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to get a second filter for my 75 gallon aqaurium. I already have a marineland c-220, it came with the tank as a package, but I do not think that is enough. I am deciding on a good canister filter, I was thinking a marineland c-360, rated for up to 100 gallons. Or, would an aquaclear 100 be better for this setup? I would also appreciate suggestions for a good canister filter if the c-360 is not sufficient. Hope you guys can help me out! :cool:

Hello FW...

A Hagen hang on the back filter will do essentially the same job as a canister at roughly a third the cost. Before you spend the money, consider that a tank the size you have needs a filtration system with a gph (gallon per hour) rating of 300. This is enough to sufficiently mix oxygen into the tank water, which is what a filter mainly does. It doesn't really keep the tank water clean like many tank keepers think. It just takes in toxic water and returns the water a bit less toxic.

To keep the water safe for the fish and even the plants, all you need to do is change half the water every 2 weeks.

The replacement water and a little of your time is much less expensive than overfiltering your tank.

B

Tank Filtration

Thanks for the help... So, I should get an aquaclear 110 than?

Hello again FW...

If I was replacing the filter system in my 75 G, I'd get two Hagen AC50s (200 gph per filter) and set them up at opposite ends of the tank. By doing this, you aerate the tank evenly and if one was to stop working, you'd still have some surface movement. Add large, frequent water changes to these filters and you'd have a very healthy tank.

B

I have 2 AC 110's on my 90 for 4 years now and they are great filters! They can be modified with media just as canisters. I got my first one at petsmart for about $100 and the 2nd on eBay for like $70. Great filters, you won't regret the purchase!

I have an aquaclear 70 on my 27g tank, with custom media, and water is crystal clear and spotless.
Its easy to maintain, and cost a lot less (including electricity wise) than a canister would.

However, personally, if I was to buy a bigger tank (over 30 gallons) I would do canister, as I heard they clean better.
Just my opinion.

Hob filters have a ton of bypass. Canisters are great for making sure no water bypasses media. I'd suggest a fluval with a. Skimmer addon for oxygen and surface skimming.

Plus u can more easily customize the media and isolate the bio media. Which is important when cleaning.

Aquaclear is the best brand for hob filters. I'd suggest 2 ac70's or ac110's. Over filter is better. A filters main job is to floss the water and provide biological filtration. Oxygenation is important which is why I suggested the surface skimmer if u add on another canister.

PS a tank should be turning itself over 8-12 times an hour. 700-900gph is best if u are using 2 filters.

PS a tank should be turning itself over 8-12 times an hour. 700-900gph is best if u are using 2 filters.

And where did you hear this ??? Four times per hour is more than sufficient. Anything more than 5-6 would cause your fish to die from exhaustion from trying to keep up with the current or be huddled in a corner and never enjoy their tank. 700-900 gph is mor than fine for a 225 gal tank.

And where did you hear this ??? Four times per hour is more than sufficient. Anything more than 5-6 would cause your fish to die from exhaustion from trying to keep up with the current or be huddled in a corner and never enjoy their tank. 700-900 gph is mor than fine for a 225 gal tank.

I never knew fish could get exhausted from swimming! :fish2:

Seriously though, I have over 3 years experience working with fresh, salt, brackish and reef tanks. And a few years working with pool water chemistry too.
I worked at a store running A LOT of fishtanks...

Its all relative to what you are keeping. The more turn over the better. As for water column flow, the fish won't notice it unless your doing a few thousand an hour. The more minerals in the water, the less efficient your filtration's GPH will be. The targeted RATED GPH is no where near the ACTUAL GPH. Which is why you always buy larger than what you need for GPH in filtration.

According to the GPH rating of my filters my 40b goldfish tank turns itself over 19 times an hour and they don't seem to have trouble swimming or eating.

My canister is rated at 525gph, but with the canister filled it's actually rated more around 225. I try to keep the flow of my tanks high enough while not disturbing the substrate or uprooting plants. It also depends on what kind of fish you have, how many you have, and how much you're feeding. As those variables increase, so must your filtration. If your tank figures are stable, it's hard to debate that your flow isn't sufficient.

Some fish loooove high flowing water. My danios swim against the current and sometimes "surf" the current. Other fish like moderate current. Others like no current, but won't be too bothered by decent water flow. As said above, as long as it's not stirring your substrate up and into the water, you should be good.

I plan to pick up two hobs to supplement my large canister since they're easier to replace and/or clean their filter media.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A biowheel hob is excellent for more bio filtration. For some reason the penguins seem more quiet and reliable than the emperors at the moment.

Emperors I had were quiet when dual stocked with filters. Also depends how deep your tank is, the shorter the suction tube seemed to create more noise from turbulence. Can only speak from personal experience, my emperors never failed, I bought them used and I had them in operation for nearly three years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ya the ones I had back a few years ago were amazing. I bought 2 new at petsmart and they both couldn't hold a siphon and kept unseating the impeller.

I was sad when I returned them lol.

Marineland never emailed me back either.

I have used ACs and I currently use a Fluval 206 canister. The canister holds a whole lot more media. The AC worked very well. I keep it on hand as a spare for emergency use.

I had to clean the AC weekly. I have to clean the 206 monthly but it takes a little longer because there is more media. I think it is a personal pref thing in the end.

Maintained properly either will do a good job of proper filtration. Spare parts are available for both ACs and Fluval canisters.

Last edited:
P.S. I only have a 29 gal tank. Obviously you'd need larger filters than the size I use. I was just commenting on the type not the size.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom