Canister Pump for Sump setup??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eugeneevans

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a RENA XP2 Canister filter system right now for my 55gal tank. Im curious if I could build a sump system around this pump rather then buying another pump for the sump??

You might could, but you'll need to be sure than the filter can pull the water from the sump at whatever level it's at and then push the water at the desired flow rate to the tank.

well currently its pushing approx 6ft up and pulling 6 ft down the way its set up now. Which leads me to believe it can. But it only pumps approx 300 GPH I am thinking it may be a little low for the size tank I have at 55 Gallons. I'm thinking around 500 - 700 GPH would be more efficiant?

You're actually siphoning 6 feet down, so you're getting the benfit of air pressure and gravity. Where will the waterline be in relationship to your intake? My fear would be that you might not get a good siphon going.

Are you getting 300 GPH at the 6' head, or is the filter just rated for 300 GPH? 300 GPH may be sufficient for a 55, depending on what you're trying to do. I personally would want more regardless of the application.

It won't work. Canisters work off gravity, as rutrag noted. They do not suck water in, they only push water up. Using a canister in place of a return pump is a sure way for a failure of some sort.

Back
Top Bottom