Cannister filter and planted tanks...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have the XP3 in my 55G tank, and was wondering what others prefer. Do you prefer using the power jet or a spray bar on a planted tank? The XP3 has both, and when this cannister cycles and I get my next 55G or 75G, will move the cycled cannister to the new tank. Just wondering which would work better, or if it's just more personal preference.

I prefer the spray by myself. I like the canister filter output spread over a greater area versus one high pressure stream.

Cool, thanks for all the input. I like the idea of the spraybar myself, and for some current, will add my small Marineland powerhead, that is only if I decide to use it.

I like the power jet aimed at a tank wall.... when I did the spray bar, I had so little surface disturbance my fish were gasping... then again I only have an xp1

I have the xp1 on my 29 gal planted, use the spray bar here also. never had the problem of the fish gasping at the surface of the water. but then again my plants pearl every day, the only problem i am having is the plants grow too fast now.

I have the same problem as LAGlocker since I replaced my Penguin BIO-Wheel 330 with the Filstar xP1 in my 30 gallon tank. My plant growth rate about doubled and some of my plants got too big for the aquarium. I traded those in at my LFS. My plants don't pearl yet but when I switch over to pressurized CO2 I'll see what happens.

sherry said:
I like the power jet aimed at a tank wall.... when I did the spray bar, I had so little surface disturbance my fish were gasping... then again I only have an xp1

Will be using CO2 injection, so I don't want the excess surface agitation. Will be planted.

Yes, there will be some agitation, as the spraybar goes across the top. But won't have as much as the powerjet or a powerhead, or a HOB filter. With CO2 injection, how much surface agitation can you have without too much CO2 loss?

I use a spray bar on my 90 gal tank and have it mounted under the surface as I also have CO2 injection. My Eheim 2217 produced so much current that I kept
drilling the spray bar holes larger until I got the effect I wanted. My bar faces slightly torwards the front glass but I still have a lot of plant movement. My guess is that your XP3 will give all the current your want or need. :?

I currently have the XP3 in the 55G, and the current is just too much for it with the Emperor. But when I get my new tank, either 55G or 75G, that will be my planted tank, and that's where the XP3 will go. The filter will be well cycled by then also. The new tank needs to be 48" as well, as that's what my light fixture is that I ordered. Thanks for all your input and ideas you all gave me... :)

Just to add one thing - I have an XP3 on my 55, and I find that since these tanks are not "deep" (front to back) and the spraybar is too long to be mounted on a short side (to cast the spray across the long dimension of the tank) I like to point the flow of the spraybar against the back glass where the bar is mounted. If not, the spray shoots forward and immediately strikes the front glass, and there is right much current for my taste in a planted tank.

In my 37gal, which is tall but has short sides, I do not use a spray bar or a power attachment, but just a rigid elbow that has an extra bend in the end to send the water straight across the tank under the surface, but without too much current. This also minimizes the visible equipment in the tank.

My tank (75) has a fluval 304 (jet out), a Maxijet 1200 (daytime only), Maxi-jet 600 (all the time) and a Whisper 60 for about 800GPH of flow, but I'm trying to encourage strong roots so the pleco can't tear up all my plants, he currently uses the crinum as a hammock at night and it's still standing perfectly straight. I don't dare pull out the sword, it's only been in there a week and it's added 4 leaves since I got it. (was in bad shape, had to remove all but 5 leaves).

lonewolf get a 75 compared to the 55, someone gave me their old 55 and im buying the equipment for it right now, but im having trouble imaging a cool looking plant setup with a tank that is so shallow depth wise, im thinking about fixing up the 55 so i can sell it and get a 75, tons more room for plants, and are you guys happy with your xp3's?? because that is the filter i was thinking about buying

Back
Top Bottom