Cannister filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rodeo one

Aquarium Advice Addict
Please, indulge me here. I know this has been asked a few hundred times , but need a new filter for my 50g. What brand does everyone like best?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Do you have the money to spend or are you on a budget?

Champagne tastes, beer budget. :)
Maybe up to $200

Dr F&S have their marineland c-series canister filters on sale, which is an option for your budget. They also have other canisters on sale too.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16744

I've read some good reviews online, so I picked up a C-360 for my 75g fr when I set it up soon and for $118 + shipping to canada it was still cheaper than buying it here

This is my first canister, and unboxing it and everything the build quality seems really good and it doesn't seem cheap at all IMO! :)

-Jacob

Sent from my iPhone A1533 using Aquarium Advice

I was not super happy with my Marineland C-360. Mine developed issues after about a 6 months of usage. That being said, keep in mind that I bought mine very early on in their production and it was a single unit so they may be good overall.

The two filters I have had long term success with are the Eheim 2028's which I don't think have been made for some time and the Rena XP line which is still in production. I have had 5 Rena XP's and 2 Eheim 2028's running since early 2007. The Eheims need to have some o-rings/seals replaced at this point but that is not unreasonable given their age. I have had no issue with the Rena's at all.

Considering Eheim for sure.

Fluval 406, $200 done

I would suggest the Cobalt EXT but rated at 55g on a 50g I think it a little less than I like, but would be good if you had a HOB too or something.

I like eheim, marineland, and cobalt the best. This is just my opinion but I've had many tanks, with many filters and I have had problems with every fluval I have owned. Marineland has been my favorite. They're fairly loud in my opinion but nothing unbearable.

I like eheim, marineland, and cobalt the best. This is just my opinion but I've had many tanks, with many filters and I have had problems with every fluval I have owned. Marineland has been my favorite. They're fairly loud in my opinion but nothing unbearable. Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wonder if the older Fluval were better, I have 4 Fluval 203 canisters from the 90's still going strong, can't kill them. I try buying used ones working or not for spare parts. I use two in a 55g and two in a 40g.

I like eheim, marineland, and cobalt the best. This is just my opinion but I've had many tanks, with many filters and I have had problems with every fluval I have owned. Marineland has been my favorite. They're fairly loud in my opinion but nothing unbearable.

Hmmm really? My C4 is the best HOB ever.

So far Im liking my Cobalt EXTs, though to be fair I havent had them up and running for very long... so the jury is still out on longevity.
I like that the water pump is exterior and that I can also control the water flow.
At around $100, they arent too expensive either.

Cobalt Aquatics E-X-T Canister Filter: Aquarium Canister Filters
Yeah there pretty cool, I wish they had a little more flo and came with a bit more tubing but I like mine, the canister disconnect is pretty sweet.

Ordered the Eheim 2217, hope I like it. Really appreciate all the input . Thank you :)

Hmmm really? My C4 is the best HOB ever.

Yeah there pretty cool, I wish they had a little more flo and came with a bit more tubing but I like mine, the canister disconnect is pretty sweet.

I should have been more specific. I like fluvals hang on back filters. It's the canister filters I've had issues with.

Ive had an Eheim 2213 up and running on my new 29G for about a month now, Seems to be doing great. Goodluck with your 2217!

Thanks! Really like it so far :)

I hate my Eheim pro and I have 2. Prefer the Fluval 206. Just my opinion tho

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I hate my Eheim pro and I have 2. Prefer the Fluval 206. Just my opinion tho

I am just the opposite. I love my Eheims and think the 206 is junk.

What don't you like about them?

I think the fluval is easier to use and has done a better job on my tanks. I haven't been using canisters for more than a year yet so ask me in 6 months and I may be agreeing with you. My Eheim pro's are both used so maybe that is part of it. Parts had to be replaced etc. Seriously tho I'm not technically inclined at all and I find fluval was easier to set up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom