Can't decide...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J-D

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 28 gallon tank which currently houses 5 pristella tetras, 6 harlequin rasboras and one whiptail catfish. The tank has been set up around 4 months and everyone seems happy so far. I'm hoping to get a few dwarf gouramis but my lfs have had some supplier problems so no joy on that front yet.

I'm now thinking that I'd like to get some smaller cichlids and was wondering if any of you could make some recommendations for my tank. I really like angels but worried about the size they may get to...

...any ideas? :)

angels get pretty darn big. i have seen angels the size of dinner plates.

maybe some GBRs? They stay relatively small and are very pretty. they would do well in your tank.

Angels also eat tetras.

With the fish that you already have I think there are a few options. Dwarf cichlids are probably the way to go considering your current setup.

You can go with Apistogrammas or Rams most likely. Bolivian rams would probably be the easiest to come by, and they wouldn’t harass any of your other fish. From what I’ve read they are big pansies.

German Blue Rams are gorgeous, and would look great. I’m hesitant to go that route because I’ve heard how difficult they can be to keep.

Apistogrammas are also great. They don’t get too large, and shouldn’t be too aggressive towards your other fish. They may get a little territorial when they are spawning just like any other cichlid would. The only thing about apistos is that they can be a little difficult to find.

I agree with the dwarf cichlid varieties, they are a perfect fit for your tank. JRagg is correct about their scarcity, but if you go to aquabid, look up apistodave.

Jchillin said:
I agree with the dwarf cichlid varieties, they are a perfect fit for your tank. JRagg is correct about their scarcity, but if you go to aquabid, look up apistodave.

:? His stock looks great, but if you wan't a breeding pair be weary. He sent me 3 males when I ordered a breeding pair. I'm apparently not the first person this has happened to either.

In any case it's sort of a moot point because you live in the UK anyways. You'll have to search out somewhere local that has these.

Where your at hs some of the more beautiful selections of Apistogrammas in the world, I wish I was in the UK just for that reason. Most of your harder to find Apisto spices are in the UK. Trust me you don't want to go throw Apistodave at this time. There is a number of breeders in the UK of Apistogrammas. Look up A. d Wood in Staffordshire, UK. He is one of the op breeders in your area. His stock is just amazing, I'm jolous I wish he'd ship to the US. Go Apistos there will worth it. I house 12 differnt spice and how 300 plus fry from two females now.

Angels also eat tetras.
Neon tetras, not all tetras.

GBR and apistos are nice; I have had them in the past, but currently have kribs. If you are patient, you will find ones with nice coloring.

Back
Top Bottom