Cant find my new Syno Cat....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Added a Syno catfish yesterday to my 90 gallon African tank. I haven't seen him since last night and a getting paranoid! My guys I think are too small to do any Major damage, they struggle eating small pellets! I have a lot of hiding place so im hoping that's where he is but I'm close to ripping my tank apart!!!

Give him a few days to acclimate to the new environment, you'll see him poking around soon enough.

Hey I have a syno catfish who hid for almost two weeks before he was comfortable getting in the mix with all my fish dont worry at all... Those guys can hide anywhere they're amazing...

Ok thanks. I'll leave the tan alone and wait til he comes out of hiding :)

I have a syno that I never see. I honestly dont care for that fish too much. The only time I see him is when I do a full breakdown..

I have two of them one in each tank and we're constantly searching for them. Especially when they're young. The older one in the 65 started coming out more when he got to be around 2" be patient :)

Not sure about your syno, but I know upside down synos need schools to act normal.
I had 1 upside down, he was active for the first week, then gone! Didn't see him for a month, did a major vaccuum, and found he had taken home inside a hollow wood ornament in the furthest, tightest crevice from the opening.
Put in 4 more upside down synos, now they all scavenge together at night.

With just 1, he disappeared for over a month straight! Used to think he was really cool, but like someone else said, lost alot of interest in him. Still a cool fish though

Mine is the Featherfin Squeaker catfish and from what I was told they are better alone as they tend to be aggressive to each other.

I have 8 syno petricola and they are always out. Huckit (the former cichlid god) told me they are social and need to be kept in groups for them to be very active. Mine are out constantly, zooming from one cave to another and digging around.

I think it depends on which type of cat it is. I have two syndotis (not sure of spelling) spotted cats and they prefer to be on their own from what I've not only read but also experienced when they were put together. They got aggressive, it started out playful but became extremely territorial. If you could post a picture it may help people in helping you?
This is mine :)

Attachments

• image-286991960.jpg
    image-286991960.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 62
Mine is the featherfin or synodintis euptera, I think that's the scientific name. Something like that! I'll get a pic if he ever comes out long enough to take it!!!

If he's camera shy you can google the type just to get a shot of it. Doesn't have to be yours just find the one that looks like him.

A sailfin!! So pretty!! I wish .. Everything I've read on those guys has been solitary. Never had one myself though. Hopefully someone with more experience will step in now and give you more info :)

Mlani said:
I think it depends on which type of cat it is. I have two syndotis (not sure of spelling) spotted cats and they prefer to be on their own from what I've not only read but also experienced when they were put together. They got aggressive, it started out playful but became extremely territorial. If you could post a picture it may help people in helping you?
This is mine :)

That's exactly what I have. How big are yours?

Joel, and you were told they are better in groups? I was told they should be kept alone that they are very aggressive to others of the same species.

Anybody else?

CraigMac said:
Joel, and you were told they are better in groups? I was told they should be kept alone that they are very aggressive to others of the same species.

Anybody else?

I was told alone and saw first hand that they couldn't be together with mine. (I was told alone after the fact)

Mlani said:
A sailfin!! So pretty!! I wish .. Everything I've read on those guys has been solitary. Never had one myself though. Hopefully someone with more experience will step in now and give you more info :)

My bad meant feather not sail

Back
Top Bottom