Can't Get Rid of Algae Blooms/Diatoms!! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

janky

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a couple of tanks that are in sunlight and can't be moved (our apartment faces over the water on a high-rise with huge windows). I think this is why we're constantly getting brown diatoms on the walls...

I also have a tank in the kitchen that's a planted 10 g. It keeps getting green water (algae blooms) and I'm not sure what to do with it.
Apparently I'm not very good with planted tanks because this thing kills any fish I put in it (yet snail and shrimp keep having offspring) and always turns green in a week or two.

I don't over feed the tanks - the 10g in the kitchen I feed a tiny tiny chunk of algae wafer once or twice a week for the shrimps. I have a coralife t5 HO bulb resting on top of the tank (no fixture or place to "hang" it) but I only keep it on about 8-10 hours a day.

I've tried the blanket/lights out method for 3 days and did a huge WC after, which worked for a couple days, but then it's right back to blooming green water or brown diatoms all over the walls!

Can anyone clue me in to what I'm doing wrong?!? This is really a nuisance!!
:banghead:

tbh, I've only heard that name. I have no clue what they do.
Will these go away if I just keep scrubbing the glass and doing heavy WC's??

janky said:
tbh, I've only heard that name. I have no clue what they do.
Will these go away if I just keep scrubbing the glass and doing heavy WC's??

I have also currently been dealing with a algae bloom, I have done black outs, I have also tried the large water changes. It stayed clear for 3 days then turned green again. I recently have a blackout, so far the water has remained clear. Although if that didn't work I would had went to buy a UV filter. Ive read that they will clear the water but I'm no expert.
Hope this helps

I will definitely do some research then. I'm pretty broke right now so any kind of DIY remedy would be awesome.
Like you said, the blackout thing only works for a few days :/

I'm curious as to what has worked for everyone in the past??

If you have a T5HO on a 10g, you have a massive amount of light, and you will NEED CO2 to combat algae. So there's that.

Is this tank cycled? How long has it been set up? Are you testing for ammonia? GW is commonly caused by elevated levels ammonia, and will persist long after the levels have returned to normal.

so you have plants in there now or no?

it sounds like way too much light and sunlight as well i would say so you'd need to add co2.

janky said:
I have a couple of tanks that are in sunlight and can't be moved (our apartment faces over the water on a high-rise with huge windows). I think this is why we're constantly getting brown diatoms on the walls...

I also have a tank in the kitchen that's a planted 10 g. It keeps getting green water (algae blooms) and I'm not sure what to do with it.
Apparently I'm not very good with planted tanks because this thing kills any fish I put in it (yet snail and shrimp keep having offspring) and always turns green in a week or two.

I don't over feed the tanks - the 10g in the kitchen I feed a tiny tiny chunk of algae wafer once or twice a week for the shrimps. I have a coralife t5 HO bulb resting on top of the tank (no fixture or place to "hang" it) but I only keep it on about 8-10 hours a day.

I've tried the blanket/lights out method for 3 days and did a huge WC after, which worked for a couple days, but then it's right back to blooming green water or brown diatoms all over the walls!

Can anyone clue me in to what I'm doing wrong?!? This is really a nuisance!!
:banghead:

Ok a T5HO is overkill for a 10g. Way too much light without injecting pressurized CO2.

Consider doing a clamp light with a spiral CFL bulb. Maybe 26 watts around 6,500K.

At least control the light on the 10g.

High Light tanks need CO2 so the plants can out compete the Algae.

What Ferts are you using ??

For now, reduce your lighting to 5 or 6 hours a day. PWCs weekly at least. Consider low phosphate foods.

Can you add a background and sides covers to reduce sunlight ? Can you set up a screen to block light from the tanks ?

If you have a T5HO on a 10g, you have a massive amount of light, and you will NEED CO2 to combat algae. So there's that.

Is this tank cycled? How long has it been set up? Are you testing for ammonia? GW is commonly caused by elevated levels ammonia, and will persist long after the levels have returned to normal.

I use DIY CO2 and make new ones weekly.
Tank is fully cycled, no ammonia, been up and running for over 5 months.

There are two tanks I'm struggling with green water on; the planted tank in the kitchen is not in direct sunlight at all.
The other tank is an empty 'breeder'/hospital and it's in the sunlight - it gets it the worst.

so you have plants in there now or no?

it sounds like way too much light and sunlight as well i would say so you'd need to add co2.

Yes. Lots. I use DIY CO2.
Is that not enough?

For ferts I dose liquid flourish maybe once a week.

There are only shrimp and snails in there, so I give the tank like a quarter of an algae wafer every 3 days or so.

coursair; for the planted tank, it's located in the kitchen and blocked from sunlight by the fridge, sooo it should be ok :)
The 'breeder' tank in our bedroom is getting hit HARD by green water/diatoms and there isn't really anything I can do to block the light. I could do a background maybe? Black out the back of the tank? Dunno if that'd help...

Back
Top Bottom