cant scrub algae off?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sharp razor blades will not scratch the glass if it starts to get dull and pitted get a new one, it will scratch acrylic however. I just use blades for utility knifes they are about $1 for 5.

Sounds/looks exactly like hard water stains with dried algae on it which can happen when the water levels aren't kept up. Which you said the previous owner did not. The only way I have gotten that kind of stuff off is with a sharp razor blade and vinegar/ water solution.

+1

Razor blade should help get some while keeping your tank setup, if you want to try diluted (full strength even) vinegar, you're gonna have to break it down. I'd suggest using a razor blade and just take your time so you don't jab the edge of the blade into the glass and gouge it (been there, done that). If you work on it at different times the underlying calcium deposits will kinda soften as they're exposed to the water column. I'm doing the same thing to a used tank that's setup too and it's coming along, but it takes time.

Mogurako said:
Sounds/looks exactly like hard water stains with dried algae on it which can happen when the water levels aren't kept up. Which you said the previous owner did not. The only way I have gotten that kind of stuff off is with a sharp razor blade and vinegar/ water solution.

Ok guys the problem was solved. A simple razor blade worked like a charm! Surprised I didn't think of that lol. Now it looks good as new. Will the dried algae particles that got scraped off hurt the fish?

Thx :)

Nope if your worried about it you can siphon them out.

Looks like ill be doing the razor blade gig, just been putting it off

mikeybabs said:
Ok guys the problem was solved. A simple razor blade worked like a charm! Surprised I didn't think of that lol. Now it looks good as new. Will the dried algae particles that got scraped off hurt the fish?

Thx :)

It shouldn't hurt the fish but you can scoop it out if you are worried about it. Razorblades are an aquarists best friend.

Back
Top Bottom