Carbo Plus (or should I say minus?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DSenn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Carbo Plus and I am interested in doing a plant tank. I have used the Carbo Plus before on a previous plant tank and my plants did fine, but based on some other comments about this product, it doesn't seem to be the best.

I am wondering if anyone else has used it, and I am also curious as to exactly how it works.

I've heard that it messes with the KH of the tank.

Any insight would be appreciated. If the Carbo Plus is not the way to go, then any recommendations as to alternative methods of CO2 injection would also be helpful.

Ok, I have read some other previous posts about the Carbo Plus. It seems that it strips the KH, so here is another question...

What if you have Limestone in the tank? Limestone continuously adds KH to the water.

Pressurized CO2 would be the best alternative, especially if dealing with a larger aquarium. Next best would be DIY CO2 or Flourish Excel.

I really can't say that I'd recommend using the Carbo Plus at all. You could try it with the Limestone in the aquarium since you already own one, but I'd recommend making it a plant only aquarium so that you don't stress your fish with a constantly bouncing KH/pH.

Purrbox-

So even if I kept the CO2 injection constant and the water changes constant, there would still be bounces in the pH?

And what is DIY, Do It Yourself? LOL

I also know nothing about pressurized CO2 units. They sounds confusing.

I've never had a CarboPlus to play with, but since you'd be combining a piece of Limestone that would be adding KH and a CarboPlus that would be removing the same KH it's quite possible that it could result in fluctuations in the level. Considering that the CarboPlus' efficiency changes depending on the KH level and that the Limestone won't necessarily be adding KH at a consistant rate, there's a lot of variables involved. When trying something where you don't know the results I'd always recommend taking the most cautious path. You may find after a time that you actually are able to achieve a steady KH/pH. If this is the case, then you would be safe to add fish. However until you know that this is actually what will happen, it would be better to leave the fish out of the experiment.

And yes, DIY = Do It Yourself. Here's an article that explains it.

While Pressurized CO2 seems rather intimidating at first, it really is quite easy. Here's an article that I followed when setting up my Pressurized CO2. Those instructions really simplified the process the first time through, and now I barely have to think about it when I attach a new bottle after a refill.

Purrbox-

Does adding 'regular CO2' do anything to KH? I mean, does it 'use' KH like the CarboPlus does? Do you need a certain KH level to add CO2?

It was originally thought that you needed at least 3dKH to safely inject CO2, but I've heard many reports of people injecting CO2 with levels much lower and not having any issues at all. CO2 injection won't affect your KH, but will lower your pH. When pH fluctuates as a result of changes in CO2 levels, it's not dangerous to your fish. For lower levels of KH you would need either a pH meter or drop checker to determine CO2 levels. A drop checker is recommended anyway, since it takes the water chemistry of your aquarium out of the mix when determining CO2 levels.

Purrbox-

If CO2 does not affect KH, then I don't see why you'd need any degree of KH at all to inject CO2.

So if I had normal CO2 injection and turned it off at night and the pH went from a 6.8 to a 7.4, this would be acceptable because the change would be from the removal of the CO2, correct?

Let me explain my situation in full to you, if you don't mind. You'll have a better understanding of where I am coming from.

I have two tanks, a 75 and a 46 bowfront. I also have an R.O. unit, which you are aware of. I currently have water parameters of R.O./Tap mix of 3 gallons R.O./1.25 gallons tap (pH 7.2, 2dKH, 2dGH) in my 75 gallon. I currently have Glowlights in the 75, and I would like to add Black Neons and a few Dwarf Gouramis.

NOW... I was thinking of keeping basically the same water parameters for my 46 (which I want to be a plant tank with species like Rams, Cardinals, RummyNose, etc)
but I have been undecided on whether to TRY the Limestone and the CarboPlus. I agree with you that using the Limestone and the CarboPlus are shaky at best.

If we exclude the CarboPlus and the Limestone, and I use some driftwood and get pressurized CO2, do you feel that my water parameters of pH 7.2, KH and Gh of 2 degrees are acceptable in a plant tank, and do you think these same parameters are acceptable for my 75 (no plants)?

As long as the parameters are steady, I see absolutely no problem with 2dKH, 2dGH, and a pH of 7.2 in either aquarium. With a low GH you'll want to keep an eye out for symptoms of Calcium or Magnesium deficiency in the planted one, just incase the GH is made up of primarily one or the other. It's pretty easy to dose those if necessary though.

Purrbox-

That's a good point about raising the GH. I was wondering-if I had to raise it-what would be a good way to do so without raising the KH. Do you know of any good products besides R.O. Right? Natural is probably the best, wouldn't you say?

If it were me I'd use Rex Grigg's "Grumpy's GH Booster For Raising GH" if I found I needed to raise GH in general. However if I was only short of either Calcium or Magnesium, I'd use the Calcium Sulfate for Calcium or Magnesium Sulfate for Magnesium.

If I were deficient in either the calcium or magnesium categories, I would not know simply because my test kit measures GH, which I assume means it is measuring a total of the two, I don't know. Do they make test kits where you can test for each individually?

I also wanted to thank you for all your help. You and jsoong have been so helpful that I can't believe I didn't belong to this forum in the past. The advice I am getting from here is going to help me tremendously now and in all my future tanks.

I don't believe that they make a hobby grade test kit that would work for Calcium or Magnesium. Luckily the deficiencies that the plants display are different for these nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom