Cardinal Tetra problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edmund

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I like these beautiful cardinal neon fish but got a problem.
Every time I bought this fish, I listen to the advise given by the shop, like
mix the aquarium water with the fish bag water for a while, Change half of the water in the aquarium before add them into the aquarium but still after 2 or 3 days they start to die. First their tail drop off then they died slowly. What is the problem and how to solve this.

It does sound water chemistry related unless they were in poor condition at the shop? How long has the tank been set up?

Despite the fact that everyone labels both neons and cardinal tetras as good beginner fish; I find them to be quite hard to keep. Let me re-phrase that....they are hard to keep unless you can find good stock to begin with! Maybe try sourcing from a different shop if possible. Otherwise, they're advice is sound. Do you check our water parameters? If the parameters are in check and the fish keep dying then its likely bad stock to begin with.

It does sound water chemistry related unless they were in poor condition at the shop? How long has the tank been set up?
More then 1 month. I bought 4 and 2 died. But now the bal 2 look ok and happy. I intend to add another 4 later but this time i had to be very careful to acclimate them slowly to my aquarium water. Later I will post the result.

Despite the fact that everyone labels both neons and cardinal tetras as good beginner fish; I find them to be quite hard to keep. Let me re-phrase that....they are hard to keep unless you can find good stock to begin with! Maybe try sourcing from a different shop if possible. Otherwise, they're advice is sound. Do you check our water parameters? If the parameters are in check and the fish keep dying then its likely bad stock to begin with.

I totally agree. I thought for years I could not keep them and gave up. Then one day I heard my fish store owner say to someone else, we finally got in some really nice Cardinal tetras. So I ended up with about 12 of them and have had them for almost 2 years. I could tell the difference too in the store. They were just healthier looking, good color, schooling nicely. And they were a little larger than usual.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

ph needs to be neutral, temp should be higher than norm, at least 80-82, lots of live plants, some driftwood to add tannins to the water and a dark substrate all work to make tetras of any variety happy.
do the slow acclimation, but never add the water from the store to your tank...EVER!
as long as your tank is healthy and fine, absolutely no reason to do a 50% water change, that is just bad advice and really does nothing at all if your tank meets the needed parameters for tetras.

also your tank is at the tail end of cycling, so take it slow adding new critters. ;)

ph needs to be neutral, temp should be higher than norm, at least 80-82, lots of live plants, some driftwood to add tannins to the water and a dark substrate all work to make tetras of any variety happy.
do the slow acclimation, but never add the water from the store to your tank...EVER!
as long as your tank is healthy and fine, absolutely no reason to do a 50% water change, that is just bad advice and really does nothing at all if your tank meets the needed parameters for tetras.

also your tank is at the tail end of cycling, so take it slow adding new critters. ;)

I cant seem to keep cardinals or neons in any of my 80+ degree tanks. Finally gave up and only keep them in tanks at 78 or less and that has worked well for me.

I believe that cardinals do better in warmer water. That is why people keep them with discus. If you can, look for tank bred as opposed to WC.

I used to be a snob regarding cardinals vs. neons. I've been keeping neons lately, and they have been very healthy.

I believe that cardinals do better in warmer water. That is why people keep them with discus. If you can, look for tank bred as opposed to WC.

I used to be a snob regarding cardinals vs. neons. I've been keeping neons lately, and they have been very healthy.

I've always liked cardinals more than the neons; but never had luck with either in my warmer tanks. So I settled for what actually lived!...which is neons in a tank that never gets warmer than 78.

What causes the PH to drop in the Aquarium. My raw water PH is 7.4 but my aquarium water PH is 5.8. What is the effect to my fish and plants.

What causes the PH to drop in the Aquarium. My raw water PH is 7.4 but my aquarium water PH is 5.8. What is the effect to my fish and plants.

Biological processes (nitrogen cycle) and driftwood/peat will decrease pH over time. Frequent water changes, removal of DW, increasing buffers (maybe via the addition of crushed coral) should help stabilize the pH.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My ph is 7.6 ish, temp is 78, no tannins and I've had a large school for a couple of years.
The op's tank is young and parameters are likely fluctuating.

Back
Top Bottom