Carey's 125G Upgrade/Conversion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone! I'm very excited as I am ready to begin the plans for my upgrade from 55 gallon to a 125g. I'm pricing new setups and scouring CL so whatever comes first is when I will buy.

I set this thread up so i can ask my zillion questions in one spot, hope that's what I'm supposed to do, I'm new here.

Anyways, I guess to begin with I am getting a 6 foot long 125 gallon. If I go any larger i won't be able to reach the bottom of the tank so I'm stuck with the 125.
I have filtration covered, FX5. :)

I guess the first question is substrate. I currently have a crushed coral mix and it really helps to stabilize my ph so I was thinking of going along those lines.

Any thoughts?

Sorry this is so long but I have so much to ask and say lol

I upgraded my 55 to a 125 and it was hard but so much fun! I hope you enjoy doing it and I can't wait for pics. If the substrate worked in the past and you like it then I would stick with it. Good luck hve fun!

Sent from my X10a using Aquarium

Thanks for the encouragement. :) I can't wait! It's gonna be a big project but I love projects. This also gives me the chance to fix some stocking issues I have.

So I was thinking about temperature, how many heaters would be good? And what watts? I figure 2 on either side.

Also, i am going with Haps and peacocks now so would the crushed coral substrate work with these fish? I know my mbuna love moving the gravel around but I havent noticed the red empress's or the other haps I have doing that.

Just trying to get the basics down first, then the fun stocking part can begin. I am mis-stocked currently and this big upgrade is to alleviate any issues I may come across when my fish mature.

Just got back from pricing some tanks. Petco doesnt go over 55 gallons so I ended up at petsmart. They have a 125 6 footer in stock. It comes with the 3 glass lids and 2 light strips, nothing special. they want 359.99 for it and the stand is $259. How do these prices sound? I havent found anything on CL yet so I thought I might buy new.

Any and all comments welcome. I know this is a boring thread but I'm tryin LOL

i would keep trying on CL, i just picked up a 135 gallon, 6ft acrylic tank for 3bills. it needs a lil work but nothing a lil novus polish and a orbital sander wont fix. good luck!

Just got back from pricing some tanks. Petco doesnt go over 55 gallons so I ended up at petsmart. They have a 125 6 footer in stock. It comes with the 3 glass lids and 2 light strips, nothing special. they want 359.99 for it and the stand is $259. How do these prices sound? I havent found anything on CL yet so I thought I might buy new.

Any and all comments welcome. I know this is a boring thread but I'm tryin LOL

I would buy everything in pieces, rather than as a "set up". Get the tank locally, since you'll have to transport it, but buy the lids/lights, etc. online. You can save a boatload of money, even with shipping, if you just look.. Lighting, you'll want based around your tank, and usually just regular lights don't cut it, so you end up storing them for "an emergency"..

Ex: I got my FX5 online for $239 with free shipping. My LFS wants $400 for it.

(I'm in the process of building a 125, too..)

Well this 125 is for my cichlids so the stock lighting will work I think. I also don't grow any live plants or anything like that. The fx5 I will be buying from amazon.com for $234. The $359 doesn't include anything but the tank, lids and lights.

All I'm finding on CL are SW setups LOL. When the 125 is up I'll be swapping my reef into the 55 so I don't need another sw setup .hehe

So should I buy my filter now I'm wondering? I see getting the new tank in the next 2 weeks or so. I was gonna just run both fluvals for awhile when I get the tank setup to avoid cycling.

I guess I'm going with the crushed coral substrate, works now and no one has suggested anything different. :) Wasn't sure if sand was an option with cichlids.

Chiclids love sand, its preferred above all by most africans. Caribe sea carries cichlid sand. It is calcium carbonate based so it works just like the crushed stuff your using

Sent from my X10a using Aquarium

Woot I may have lucked out on a stand. CL ad for a 6 foot black stand for $30. i could go buy my tank tomorrow if i get the stand that cheap lol. I have an email out, hoping this will be the deal I've been waiting for.

That's a good deal on a stand. I recently saw one for $25 and almost got it.... it was black and matched my 150 and 40 stands identically. But... my 125 has the wood grain trim and I don't feel like painting it. It's a shame there's nothing good on CL down there. There are big tanks around here all the time.

It's all SW setups like 75 gallons. making me wanna get one of those, but I can only do one upgrade at a time. lol

Sweet, the woman with the stand already contacted me and hopefully i can go check it out tomorrow. I will have to rent a truck to bring it home though. Oh well, for $30 bucks its worth it.

carey said:
Sweet, the woman with the stand already contacted me and hopefully i can go check it out tomorrow. I will have to rent a truck to bring it home though. Oh well, for $30 bucks its worth it.

Nice! I got all my tank and stand on CL for free! Definately gotta love CL!

Conrats, there's nothing like the feeling of setting up a new large tank. It's like putting on a new pair of socks for the first time, just feels right. I have 8 tanks running right now so there's no more hope for me for awhile so I'll have to vicariously live through your build. So let's get some pictures going soon.

Thanks so much! I'm just asking all the silly questions that come to mind and I will be posting pics as I go. If I snag that stand I may just buy the tank setup I found for $359. It has nothing special as far as lights but I don't think that matters for me.

What do you think? Get "good" lights or make do with the single t8's?

I would skip buying the tank and keep looking for a used tank and put that extra money into your lighting system. Im running T5HO's on every tank and truly feels the right like makes the tank.

As far as the used tank expand your craigslist search and make hubby take a road trip to pick one up. I just dragged my wife over 3hrs round trip to pick up fish Ive been looking years for, even she admitted some quite time alone was fun.

I'm solo on this project unfortunately the man works long hours. I'm just really excited to start this project officially. Do you really think t5 for the cichlids though? Would a double fixture be fine? I have the quad on my reef and thats alot of light.

Back
Top Bottom