Carey's 90g FOWLR Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea got a wet/dry for my 55. But am planning on changing out the bio ball and doing lr with it. Been reading a lot of good things about it.

I don't even really treat min tank sizes as anything more than a friendly recommendation. There's just WAY too many variables to apply a generalization to a fish like that. Not to mention that its kinda hard to truly know if a fish is 100% happy or not. I don't see a tusk being an issue in a 4 footer. . . Even if it does reach the max size of 10".... it'll still have plenty of room to swim. As with 90% of our hobby, guidelines can be slightly tweaked and bent to fit and still have wonderous outcomes

coffeetwitch said:
true story huma.

ive been doing a lot "wrong" with my fw fish. a lot! and they are happy enough to have babies.

exactly. Which is why when you're doing a stocklist you really need to learn the individual fish and its specifics

I read up every day about the fish I want to keep so hopefully I can have a real good feel for what can go in and what can't. :)

The tusk is one of those "would like" to have fish but it won't break me either way if I can't get one. Though it would look awesome in there. lol

carey said:
I read up every day about the fish I want to keep so hopefully I can have a real good feel for what can go in and what can't. :)

The tusk is one of those "would like" to have fish but it won't break me either way if I can't get one. Though it would look awesome in there. lol

I know you prob have but I have to ask, have you seen a n adult australian tusk in person?? There's not a pic on the net that does them justice...they are insanely bright and colorful

Well, I still have almost another week for the qt fish so nope, havent progressed at all on this build. :-(

I have been searching Cl for a stand and might have found a 75g setup that I can use. But can't move forward til the 55g is empty. I keep checking out the poor 90g in the garage, it looks so empty and lonesome LOL

Nope, havent seen an australian tusk in person yet, its all indonesian ones

LOL. I'm still debating it but I'm kinda leaning on the side of passing on it. I can get a few other fish like more wrasses. :) At the rate I want to stock it will be mostly wrasses.

carey said:
LOL. I'm still debating it but I'm kinda leaning on the side of passing on it. I can get a few other fish like more wrasses. :) At the rate I want to stock it will be mostly wrasses.

Sounds cool, I love Wrasses, and I would be interested in knowing which ones work together, so I can know for my future 180g!

I haven't forgotten about this build :). In fact it's getting closer and closer each day. I will be moving the fish in the 55g out this week into the 125g aqnd then will be getting rid of all the aiptasia in it and then its on the market! I still heave the guys email who offered me $200 for it so I will give him first dibs on it for $250 or $300 if I pick up the used 48" coralife dual T5 I found last week at my lfs.

Today I spent a good amount of time outside rinsing off about 100lbs or so of the dried base rock that I picked up a few months ago. I now have about 150lbs ready to go in the 90g. I still have at least another 50-100lbs to go though, it's just sitting in a garbage can waiting to be washed. After getting further into the container I've found that some of this rock is really really nice, theres alot of variation on the type of rock inside, some is fiji, some is tonga and some is branching, theres at least 4-5 different types it appears.

I've also decided that if I can get the $250 for the tank as is I will get the furniture grade stand that's a tad bit more money. Just eying the spot the tank will be in and I think the better stand will look nicer there. :-D

Also been tweaking my stock list, I still look at different ideas every day but I'm getting close to a final list.

carey said:
I haven't forgotten about this build :). In fact it's getting closer and closer each day. I will be moving the fish in the 55g out this week into the 125g aqnd then will be getting rid of all the aiptasia in it and then its on the market! I still heave the guys email who offered me $200 for it so I will give him first dibs on it for $250 or $300 if I pick up the used 48" coralife dual T5 I found last week at my lfs.

Today I spent a good amount of time outside rinsing off about 100lbs or so of the dried base rock that I picked up a few months ago. I now have about 150lbs ready to go in the 90g. I still have at least another 50-100lbs to go though, it's just sitting in a garbage can waiting to be washed. After getting further into the container I've found that some of this rock is really really nice, theres alot of variation on the type of rock inside, some is fiji, some is tonga and some is branching, theres at least 4-5 different types it appears.

I've also decided that if I can get the $250 for the tank as is I will get the furniture grade stand that's a tad bit more money. Just eying the spot the tank will be in and I think the better stand will look nicer there. :-D

Also been tweaking my stock list, I still look at different ideas every day but I'm getting close to a final list.

Sounds good, can't wait to see this come along!

I spent an hour or so today rinsing and cleaning the rest of the rock. :) I now have about 200lbs of rock ready to go, it's drying in the sun right now. I was figuring on only adding 100-150 lbs tops to the tank, I want more swim adn fish room and since it's a FOWLR I didn't think it was necessary to have an abundant amount of rock. Correct me if I'm wrong on that guys....

I also spent some time looking over the pieces and some are pretty big so I don't think i will be able to do an arch of rock like I planned unless i start drilling holes in the rock and attaching them with rods. :-(

But anyways, just need some sand and the stand and I'm ready to go. I'm getting soo excited! LOL

I spent an hour or so today rinsing and cleaning the rest of the rock. :) I now have about 200lbs of rock ready to go, it's drying in the sun right now. I was figuring on only adding 100-150 lbs tops to the tank, I want more swim adn fish room and since it's a FOWLR I didn't think it was necessary to have an abundant amount of rock. Correct me if I'm wrong on that guys....

I also spent some time looking over the pieces and some are pretty big so I don't think i will be able to do an arch of rock like I planned unless i start drilling holes in the rock and attaching them with rods. :-(

But anyways, just need some sand and the stand and I'm ready to go. I'm getting soo excited! LOL

You are getting closer and closer! It msut have been a pain to wash all of that rock yesterday and today. Don't give up on the arch, anything is possible when it comes to aquascaping! :)

Back
Top Bottom