Carey's Bio Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just took every rock out and shook them out, no sign of banana. :-(

I did find out that I'm missing a peppermint shrimp and also found several corpses of hermit crabs. Not a sing of the fish though. he was small, but where in the heck did it get too? I looked in all the nooks and crannies and even moved the sand around a bit with no luck.

Would it be tasteless to get another one to replace him? I think my LFS has more and they were super cheap. I'm down to 2 fish in the cube now. Thats not counting the mandarin I'm supposed to be picking up in a few weeks.

I'd wait a few days. If he did die and you haven't found the body, there might be an ammo spike. Make sure the water is fine and then get another one. I'm sure if he's dead, it's the evil clowns' fault.

Oh yeah, I place the blame almost entirely on the clowns. The rest is on me for putting them in there and waiting so long to take the clowns out.

I mean he is seriously not there. I took each rock and had it in front of the powerhead and blew all the gunk out but no banana.

The last place could be in the media baskets or back there somewhere, I need to go get a ladder and a flashlight to check in there.

The first candycane also disappeared without a trace and no ammonia spike. Don't know where these fish are goin lol

I wanted to go tomorrow and get one. ;-)

Before they are all gone. My lfs never gets anything cool in and this was super cool.

carey said:
Oh yeah, I place the blame almost entirely on the clowns. The rest is on me for putting them in there and waiting so long to take the clowns out.

I mean he is seriously not there. I took each rock and had it in front of the powerhead and blew all the gunk out but no banana.

The last place could be in the media baskets or back there somewhere, I need to go get a ladder and a flashlight to check in there.

The first candycane also disappeared without a trace and no ammonia spike. Don't know where these fish are goin lol

I wanted to go tomorrow and get one. ;-)

Before they are all gone. My lfs never gets anything cool in and this was super cool.

Can you have 2 bananas in one tank?

I don't think that'd be a good idea. LOL But I really don't see him in there. I still havent gotten the ladder yet, lemme go do that now. Just so I can be sure. :)

Well since banana was MIA I went back to the same store and got myself another one. and horribly he died within a few hours of going into the tank. I acclimated him for over 2 hours too.

No more yellow watchman gobies for me I think. Poor little guy, I bought the second one out of pity cause he looked so small I thought I could save him. I was wrong.

They also had a mandarin, and the girls like sure, he'll eat anything....;So i'm like if you can show me him eat flake or something right now I'll buy him. Guess what, he didnt eat prepared. She blatantly lied to me. So no more fish from that store. Gawd....I hate that LFS. Now I have to drive an hour for sure each way to get stuff.

carey said:
Well since banana was MIA I went back to the same store and got myself another one. and horribly he died within a few hours of going into the tank. I acclimated him for over 2 hours too.

No more yellow watchman gobies for me I think. Poor little guy, I bought the second one out of pity cause he looked so small I thought I could save him. I was wrong.

They also had a mandarin, and the girls like sure, he'll eat anything....;So i'm like if you can show me him eat flake or something right now I'll buy him. Guess what, he didnt eat prepared. She blatantly lied to me. So no more fish from that store. Gawd....I hate that LFS. Now I have to drive an hour for sure each way to get stuff.

:( to all of that, and :p to that fish store. Maybe banana will show up miraculously like the candycane? :) one can hope lol.

It would be a miracle since I had to break the tank down to get the dead one out yesterday and still no sign of banana. :-(

I'm heading out to do my weekly fish shopping so maybe I'll find something appropriate to buy. :)

Sorry about what happened, Carey. Still, bad experiences are good too, now you know that store is on your "black list". I've got one like that too.

Good luck with your fishy shopping! :)

Its good that you made her show you. But its possible thay she wasnt lying and truly doesnt understand the difficulty of some fish, and thoufht why wouldnt it eat prep foods... i prob wouldnt go back to the store either, but a lot of the "help" in fish stores isnt really all that helpful.

She told me he was eating pods and would eat regular food too. This is also the store that sells bad ro/di water too. I've had nothing but trouble with them.

Went shopping today and fellin love with a starry blenny. I almost bought her for the cube. But I' not sure what I want to add. I can't put anything in the 125g so I wanna stock the cube now.

Theres the citron goby and the scooter in there now. An ORA mandarin is supposed to be on hold for me at another LFS. So with those 3 fish in mind what should I add? I think with the nature and size of these fish I can get 3 more. I want 2 designer clowns so that leaves one left to pick.

So, starry blenny, or maybe a midas blenny? ANy other thoughts? I want something that is somewhat active since I rarely see the goby i have and the scooter is always on the sandbed somewhere.

Help me out guys, what do ya think?

I think I'd add the mandarin, the clowns and maybe a small fish like a firefish. All of your fish are going to grow more than 3 inches, except the citron and the clowns. A starry blenny is my favorite, love the looks and personality, but they grow up to like 5 inches, Midas blenny - 6 inches. Seems like with either of them you'd be overstocked.
Why don't you try another yellow watchman? The stay small too and are very cute.

I didn't realize the midas got so big. Maybe I could keep him in the cube until the 125g is ready for fish again? Or the starry, the ones I saw today were pretty small.

I'd love another YWG but i've trieed it twice and they both died.I'd just die inside if I killed another one.

I doubt it had anything to do with you, Carey. If they were from the same store, maybe something's up there, a bad batch or they were too little. Next time go for a slightly bigger one.

As for a blenny in the 125 when he grows up - go for it! My vote is for starry blenny. :)

So todays shopping trip was pretty good. I picked up some Rod's food, for both my fish and corals, supposed to be phenomenal food. I got some pods for my cube's fuge AND I once again got a yellow watchman. Banana #3 is acclimating right now. I got a bigger one and from a different store. He's been in for a few weeks so he should be good to go. This LFS actually puts labels on the tanks with the arrival date so you can see how long they have had it.
Pictures will be coming soon I hope!

Yay!! Another fish!

I bought the yellow watchman goby today, but he has ORA red mandarins too. Just not going to pick it up right away. lol If it's gonna die let it be on their dime since the ORA ones are more expensive.

Back
Top Bottom