Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interestingly, the red thorny isn't nocturnal from what i'm reading. So if it goes to sleep maybe thats my guy? He's out and about right now on my powerhead no less.....

I swear, I learn more from your threads than I could ever learn from reading a book! I hate to say it but I agree with everyone...red knobby...shoulda just bought a fish like I told you :) hehe

To be honest, when I put him in I dropped him on a duncan coral. lol He just moved right off him and moved across all my zooa's to get to where he is now.

I'm thinking I'm safe on this one. Thanks for the vote of confidence Kelsey.

he is an AWESOME starfish. He is so red and his body underneath the tentacles thingees is red too! I love bright colors.

To be honest, when I put him in I dropped him on a duncan coral. lol He just moved right off him and moved across all my zooa's to get to where he is now.

I'm thinking I'm safe on this one. Thanks for the vote of confidence Kelsey.

he is an AWESOME starfish. He is so red and his body underneath the tentacles thingees is red too! I love bright colors.

No problem! What was the scientific name of this guy? I'm definitely going to see if I can order one!

Edit* I found it! Echinaster echinophorus

carey's star looks more liek it has throns like a rose bush does, not bit pointed bumps like the knob star. why do you guys scare her so much, if it starts to become a pain in her rear, the LFS salesman said he'd take it back but lets not jump to a conculsion without being 100% sure that it will kill her inverts and corals

We care about her, and we want her to be super successful...she asked our opinion

but you're not even truly sure what kind of star it is but all are giving oppinions based on more or less an assumpsion rather then the name the salesman gave her.

i want her to be succesful to, which is why i'm been here helping her with the build and giving info but i'm not saying oh its so and so star and it will kill your corals.

carey you haven't bought a reef killer yet, just keep an eye on it, like everything else you could still end up with a reef safe fish that eats corals, or a peiceful fish that attacks another

Yep, I post and accept all input. Thats' how I've learned so much in so little time. :)

If I don't thank you guys enough, Thanks one more time!

I've been scouring the internet and forums everywhere and the differences in the two starfish are night and day literally. I have to say, in my opinion and from what I've researched, that it's a thorny star. Maybe wishful thinking lol

I will be watching it like a hawk though, no worries there. I'm neurotic sometimes with the fish, so you know if I see any funny business out he goes!

well now that we got that all cleared up lets see some pictures of the tank!!!

I didn't state that I know for sure what it is, I just said IMO it is a knobby star. That being said, they are extremely similar and she only posted one picture. From what I can see her star looks identical to this:
Reefs2go.com Red Knobby Starfish

It may indeed be a thorny, I hope it is. All I can say is good luck, and as long as you keep an eye on it then no worries. If you see it hovering over any inverts then pull him out, problem solved. I was simply stating, that personally, I would not potentially endanger expensive corals over a much cheaper sea star.

So since I put the new aquisitions in the 55g for now there's only the tang to show. heres my sweetie, she's so shy lol

img_1390561_0_b9e1d1afdba4715e4d45f20d3f8ec9d7.jpg

img_1390561_1_c54a02334a595a73374aa98a9009e047.jpg

img_1390561_2_2d6f6ef27a877651ddd120b35dd4f01b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom