Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More BAD news.

My anthias is dead. Just pulled him out of the tank. No visible signs of trauma or anything so I'm at a loss. He has been hiding for the last 2 days but I thought it was the flow in the tank. I got this guy the same day as the blue tang, but they def didnt die from the same thing.

where did you buy them?

keep an eye on the rest of your fish, maybe those two had some sort of illness.

it seems like today its a bad news day for both you and lefty

Yeah, another member just lost a fish too. hopefully it travels in threes this bad luck.

I got the fish in the same store I've gotten all of my fish. I got the anthias the same day as the blue tang that died, but the anthias def didint have anything physically wrong with tyhe corpse. the bleu tang was all sorts of messed up.

carey said:
Yeah, another member just lost a fish too. hopefully it travels in threes this bad luck.

I got the fish in the same store I've gotten all of my fish. I got the anthias the same day as the blue tang that died, but the anthias def didint have anything physically wrong with tyhe corpse. the bleu tang was all sorts of messed up.

So Carey ,..what's your plan of attack??? ..... Obviously there's something afoul ,.... Maybe pm mr x ,... He might know the answer or at least give you a plan to get started.

It is possible that if that tang actually had velvet that it's in your display. But since the fish doesn't APPEAR banged up, not sure what to tell you. :(

Well I know I'm gonna watch the other fish intensely. They all look normal and have nothing on them No ich or white stuff. The browning that was on the tang wasnt on the anthias at all. He was fully intact, looks like he just died right before I got up.

How long does marine velvet take to announce itself and how long do I know if I have it in the tank? Is it worse than ich?

Hmm it could be velvet i guess. The link didnt' have any pictures, but was VERY informative. More of a reason to QT the next fish i get.

SO, could this be an isolated thing with the 2 new fish or should I do something? I'd hate to remove the fish and treat them if it's not necessary. I have a 10g ready to go and of course the 55g but I'm hesitant to muck up the live rock and sand in there since I will be selling it off soon.

It took the tang less than a week to die and about 9 days for the anthias to pass. Could the anthias not have been eating? I cant say I saw him eat once, but I did see a line of poop so i assume he was eating something.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Velvet was the first thing I thought of when you said skin peeling. Its possible the anthias could have stopped eating, I've seen those squarebacks refuse food.

Just keep an eye out. If it is velvet, its a parasite and could very easily be floating around that tank, if anyone looks slightly weird, pull em.

is there a reef safe velvet medication that you can try?

if not see if you can put y our corals and shrimp in your cube and treat your 125 with copper and then use heavy metal removers to try and remove all of it once things settle down

what else is there to do if the parasite is floating around, you can try hyposalinity and raising the temp but really how effective is that

parasites die without anything to host. dosing your display is an easy way to nuke a tank.

if need be, remove fish and treat THEM.

what else is there to do if the parasite is floating around, you can try hyposalinity and raising the temp but really how effective is that

But you can't guarantee a "heavy metal remover" will get it out of the silicone. She'll have more deaths on her hands that way: all of her inverts. That's what hospital tanks are for.

Last edited:
I refuse to treat any of my sw tanks with copper. Thats what I have 10g tanks lying around for.

i wouldnt dare take the chance.

So far allthe fish are still looking and acting normal. Technically, all I have are 2 extra fish right now other than the 5 that came over from the 55g.

I just did an battery of water tests, see if anything jumps out at you
amm-0
trite-0
trate-5
ph-8.3
salinity- 1.026
calcium- 500+(never changed color even after depleting syringe)
alk/carbonate-9
phosphates- .50 ( i know really bad, its been plaguing me since day 1)

While my water is far from perfect and needs some work, I don't think it had anything to do with either death.

Anyone have any other thoughts?

thanks

Carey dont get more over, just is better to think it was his day, thats my way :(

I hope they all stay healthy. I caught my mandarin, she hasn't eaten all day and was hovering in a corner. I don't know what to do with her, QT with crypto pro? So she is in a bucket in the DT floating around for now. I'm hoping everyone stays healthy in your tank!!

Back
Top Bottom