Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I plan on qt'ing everything that I'm able to. I would rather see if they come with a disease and such that I can cure then have it show up after they are in my DT and crash the tank. I'm sorry but I don't want to repeat what Carey went through. I'd be at wits end.

I was of the same mindset, BEFORE my current happenings. It has made a believer outta me for sure. I still have to wonder if the last 3 fish I have are gonna make it, they are eating and acting pretty normal.

You see everyone preach about QT'ing, well, it's not empty words. I had to learn the hard way.

I'm going to be setting up my 55g in my basement on a functional stand and toss some lr in with it, use that for my qt, figured its overkill in size but I could qt 2 or 3 fish at a time, plus if any of my fish get sick I can use it as a pital tank

Any rock you put in a QT will absorb whatever meds you put in the tank. Not a good idea for rock or sand in a qt. Just some pvc tubes for the fish to hide in and thats it

carey said:
I was of the same mindset, BEFORE my current happenings. It has made a believer outta me for sure. I still have to wonder if the last 3 fish I have are gonna make it, they are eating and acting pretty normal.

You see everyone preach about QT'ing, well, it's not empty words. I had to learn the hard way.

Ditto here :(

It's supposed to be a stress free enviroment, so just a heater, filter and lid if he's a jumper. lol

I think I may paint the back and sides of one 10g tank so it'll be nice and dark in there.

Our QT has 4 various size PVC pipes and a few elbows. Nothing fancy but everything we have ever QT'd has climbed/swam all over those things. The hermit crabs roll them around the tank. We occasionally throw some chaeto trimmings in there when it's up and running. Nothing that you can't wash or toss when you are finished.

Gti_Leo said:
hmm i thought most peopel QT fish only not inverts also

Anything wet that goes in the tank can bring in diseases, inverts, rock, etc can bring ich, velvet, etc in with them if it is on them, it doesn't have to infect to come in on something.

I QT all but corals. I don't have another tank with lights bright enough to support corals. But I think QTing shrimp, crabs, fish, live rock is a good idea.

I dip corals with coral rx. So thats covered.

I don't think inverts can carry in ich or velvet, or are they just immune and are carriers?

We QT everything. Sorry... If it's wet, it earns it's way into our DT. Too much time and money invested in the tank to let something destroy it. It doesn't take that much effort to run a 30 gallon QT beside the DT. It sets up fast and stays for a month or so. I love my fish. Its kinda like a long interview before you get to move into the neighborhood. Lol

We QT everything. Sorry... If it's wet, it earns it's way into our DT. Too much time and money invested in the tank to let something destroy it. It doesn't take that much effort to run a 30 gallon QT beside the DT. It sets up fast and stays for a month or so. I love my fish. Its kinda like a long interview before you get to move into the neighborhood. Lol

You QT for a month?

Yeah it appears as though they can carry ich but you dont have to qt for the full six weeks you would a fish only three as there is no host for it.

Back
Top Bottom