Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
4 weeks. The last QT we set up was for 3 nerite snails, a Halloween hermit crab and a cleaner shrimp. But... We, my husband and I, set up some very strong guidelines for our tanks from day one. And... We stick to them. We keep each other in line. No impulse buying and no buying without quarantine. And it's working quite well for us. A lot of people, I'm sure will say that it's overkill and it may be. But we spent more than a year talking about this tank before we ever got our hands wet. We read, we window shopped and we learned. Our mutual understanding of the most common parasite life cycles made us come to the conclusion that 4 weeks would be a safe time to be able to notice signs of
Illness. And enough time to interrupt the reproductive cycle of any parasite hitch-hiking in on an invert. So 4 weeks it is. And that's 4 healthy weeks. Any sick fish gets 4 healthy weeks tacked on to their hospital time.

I was just asking as I'm curious about how long to quarantine. I want to run copper and quick cure in my QT tanks but I can't find any information about doing this. Just as a preventative measure.

Quick cure has malachite green, which is a pretty harsh med. One of the articles I've read compare it to chemo for humans. I don't know that I would automatically run it as a preventative. Lots of folks advocate formalin dips but I would find a formula that didn't include the malachite green. I don't automatically treat any of my livestock.

I think qting corals and sensitive fellows is a bad idea. It's best to place them into their long term home ASAP to keep them healthy and as stress free as possible. I don't add fish anymore so no worries about ich for me :)

I can see not qting corals if you dont have a light for them, which lets face it would be quite pricey to have sitting around.

I think I will be continuing to dip corals and place them immediately. Seems like the best option for them especially since I won't have a good enough light for a qt.

Now, what about shrimp? Since I can't add any fish i was thinking of adding corals and/or inverts. I was also gonna buy some new fish in a few weeks and place them into qt. Figure byt the time they are DT ready the DT will be ready for them. lol

carey said:
I think I will be continuing to dip corals and place them immediately. Seems like the best option for them especially since I won't have a good enough light for a qt.

Now, what about shrimp? Since I can't add any fish i was thinking of adding corals and/or inverts. I was also gonna buy some new fish in a few weeks and place them into qt. Figure byt the time they are DT ready the DT will be ready for them. lol

One option, buy your corals and inverts now, put in DT, leave it without fish for at least a month. QT new fish and you should be okay.

I plan on leaving the remaining 3 fish in the tank for as long as they last or until August. So far the last 3 seem fine, no symptoms like the other that died. They would stop eating and hide 24/7 and by the next day they would be dead. If I see anything at all funky with these 3 out they will go.

I was thinking of adding maybe a sand sifting starfish and some more shrimp. I seem to have lost a skunk cleaner somehow so I only have 4 now. I also like the fire shrimp too. Not sure who gets along with what though. lol

I found a nice lfs over an hour away that has a special deal on frags, 10 for $140!! And these are nice sized too, nothing tiny there. So I might wanna finish up my coral shopping soon. I was hoping to get a few for the pico as well.

As far as re-stocking I'm totally unsure. I think I may move my misbar oscellaris from my cube to the big tank after this storm passes. I really want another tang but I'm still so unsure. I'm trying to work out a deal with the lfs I get my fish from so that he can hold them for a week or two for me to be on the safe side. Thats what I did with my clowns that died. They were treated in copper for almost 2 weeks and then I picked them up.
I'm still probably gonna get 4 blue reef chromis as well.

Question- will a pink spotted watchman goby get along with a diamond sand sifting watchman goby? I'd love to add one to my tank. I guess even if they don't get along all they do is open their mouths at each other when they fight. My goby sometimes goes after my blenny who doesnt even move.

Sorry so long, just got carried away.

thanks everyone!

Good plan.

What do you mean, you dip the corals? Dip in what? How long's a dip?

I was looking at the gobies last night, the pink spotted watchman is pretty too. I read they pretty much leave everything alone but some may pick at each other more than others. I still want the mandarin. It's a goby too. Did you get your mandarin?

I have the fire shrimp on my list. I want to research more there too cause not sure of compatibility.

I bought some coral rx, it's supposed to be the best dip and safest out there. You just put a couple capfuls in some tank water in a bucket and let your corals sit in it for 5-10 minutes. :)

My pink spotted is pretty big, he's almost 5 inches I'd say. Has a nice personality but just perches most of the time. He hasn't formed a relationship with my pistol shrimp yet either. :-( What's cool is he actually goes up to my turkey baster and sucks the food out! It's so neat.

And technically, the mandarin isn't a goby, it's a dragonet. Same as the scooter "blenny".

See I knew happy, fish-loving Carey would be back:). And I've heard some good comments about coral Rx. One question I do have is about having your lfs hold fish for a week or so. Couldn't that still leave time for your fish to pick up a disease? I mean if you go to the lfs and pick a fish out, then they simply write on the tank to hold that fish, sure it gives you time to see if anything pops up, but its also enough time for any disease to find its way to your fish.

See I knew happy, fish-loving Carey would be back:). And I've heard some good comments about coral Rx. One question I do have is about having your lfs hold fish for a week or so. Couldn't that still leave time for your fish to pick up a disease? I mean if you go to the lfs and pick a fish out, then they simply write on the tank to hold that fish, sure it gives you time to see if anything pops up, but its also enough time for any disease to find its way to your fish.

Happy fishloving Carey was replaced my self doubting self loathing Carey for a few days. I just had to get my head around the fact that stuff does happen, even though I have the best of intentions.

Good point on the holding of the fish, but in this case, if they had held the blue tang it would have died within days anyways. And I wouldnt be on the hook or my tank nuked.

One lfs I deal with holds all fish for a week and keep copper running inhis tanks, thats the guy I got my ORA clowns from, but he's pricey and he takes forever to get fish. lol

True on the dragonet, I should have said what I read. This is a quote from the fish profile. "Though this animal is commonly referred to as a goby, this name is misleading."

from here:

Saltwater Fish Goby, Saltwater Fish Blenny, Saltwater Fish Jaw Fish

Was it the
Pink Spot Shrimp Goby (Cryptocentrus pavoninoides) you were looking at?

I have the pink spotted goby already in the 125g, I wanted to add the diamond sand sifter.

And most people don't know the whole dragonet thing, or else if i did I wouldnt have a scooter "blenny". Fooled me with the name they did. lol If I had known dragonet I would have been like no way, I'll just get a mandarin. hehe...woulda coulda shoulda

Ahh ok. The description for the Diamond Sand Sifter doesn't really say much other than it should be alone or as a mated pair.

It sounds like it would be perfect to help with upkeep.

How many "gobies" can you have in a tank?, I mean if you just have them in a fowlr with coral and such?

carey said:
I have the pink spotted goby already in the 125g, I wanted to add the diamond sand sifter.

And most people don't know the whole dragonet thing, or else if i did I wouldnt have a scooter "blenny". Fooled me with the name they did. lol If I had known dragonet I would have been like no way, I'll just get a mandarin. hehe...woulda coulda shoulda

That's what happen to me...

I wouldnt try it in anything less than a 6 foot tank. Thats why i waited until now. I figured in the 55 they would meet up more often and maybe fight. I'm telling you, it's hilarious to watch my goby "fight" he just lunges with his mouth open. Doesnt bite or anything, it's all show.

Bad news, i just shut everything down in the 125 and fed like there was no tomorrow. I put in every fishes favorite food and my royal gramma and blenny didn't come out.

The gramma has been missing for about 4 days at least, no ammonia spike, I checked. The blenny was spotted yesterday last time. I'm still pulling for the blenny, he's my b/f 's fave fish too. But it's not looking good.

On a bright note, the tang and goby ate like pigs! and are swimming /perching in their normal locations.

Back
Top Bottom