Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 Maya

Your tanks, your life, your decisions Carey. You're doing great. Like I tell my kids when they ask me something, get info from whoever you want, from where ever you can and then decide what works best for you and use it and don't worry bout what anyone says or thinks about it.

that would work just its added stress. i would only use the 55 to treat if you had a large fish that you know wouldnt work for it in a 10g

Carey my clowns are full grown and the two of them are fine in my 10 g QT. They may not be goofing around, but they are fine. I'm going to get another kole tang and have it in there, but I'm going to order a small one only 1 1/2" big. If you weren't seeking advice or more knowledge then something would be wrong!

I'm tempted to get another Kole as well, very active friendly fish. :)

My next stocking will probably be 4 blue reef chromis. I'm still unsure about more tangs, but I'd want larger ones this time since the yellow one I have is a bit of a bully. lol

I'm working on getting a 20 something gallon tank with stand so I'm hoping to make that the official QT.

On another note, I purchased a yellow watchman for my cube, and wouldnt ya know it the clowns will not leave it alone. I may have to move the clowns back into the 125g. Or move the watchman into the pico lol

I've talked to alot of people about my problems and most of them said it doesnt appear to be velvet and we know it's not ich. Everyone I spoke with, on this forum and in several fish stores are clueless how the fish died so swiftly cause velvet doesnt kill in 24 hrs. Some have suggested trying a different store since every fish but the clowns came from the same store.

So far last 4 fish are still alive and kicking and eating me out of house and home. lol

Just thinking this through in my head and hoping I'll come to a good solution. :)

You will come to a good solution :) Was that the first time you ordered from that store?

I got all my fish except for the kole tang (petco) and the ora clowns from the same store. I've never seen a dead or diseased fish in any of their tanks either. He runs a top notch shop. I think I just got a bad batch of fish.

It happens, about 6 months ago, I bought 6 fancy guppies from petsmart and all 6 died within a week..... Went back to petsmart and the worker openly admitted to them getting a bad batch, they didn't do anything for me:(

Yeah, the seller was shocked that the anthias died. It was a 1 in 100 fish he said and I have to agree. Never saw one like it. :-( While he was bummed, he didn't do anything for me either.

Carey I went back and looked at your blue tang under the actinic and the photo after it died. And in the actinic light it was covered in ich, my kole tang looked identical to that. I could never see it with regular light or straight on, but look at that actinic shot and look at the fins, definite dots, and way more than the surrounding water. On the after photo it looks like black dots, and spots which tangs can have black ich. The other fish probably died with it in their gills, and perhaps when they were hiding you could not see the dots. Like I said, i could never see the dots except under the blue lights and at an upward angle.

I think someone with more experience should look at that actinic shot again and closely. My clowns that were in the same tank never got one spot, but I'm treating them for the ich that has to be in the gills.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I look for horses when I hear hoof beats, not zebras.

I went back to page 138 (if anyone else wants to check) and while I see dots, I think it's just the bubbles and crap that were in the tank. He was put into a qt after I removed him. I didn't have the heart to flush him.

You could be right of course, youre the only person that has seen them for ich, I've shown the photo around of course. In person it looked like the tang had chemical burns on him. Same with the Kole tang, he had big brown blotches on his corpse. The anthias I think just died, I don't think he was eating. And the two clowns lost their "skin" and color it seemed. And the clowns weren't hiding before they died, they were still eating hours before death.

I don't know what to think now. I still have the healthy fish in there and I had to move my oscellaris clowns in there yesterday as they were killing a fish in my cube.

It was suggested to me to try another fish in the tank so I guess this will be the test. Ihope everyone passes. It's been a few weeks but I know not long enough for the ich if its there to die.

Yes hactek, but it may be in their gills, or not visible because they were hiding. On the actinic shot look at the water, the bubbles/ spots are dispersed, look really close at blue, there are countless dots, much more concentrated then the water column. And the after is under normal light, like when I pulled out my tang, again I couldn't see the dots.

And if it is ich..how long does it take for the tank..yes tank to be clear and the ich is gone?

I believe 6-8 weeks.

I made a judgement call putting the clowns in there, I hope it doesnt come back and bite me on the butt.

I'm really starting to stress this all again. If it's ich then I'm pretty much screwed unless I take everything out treat and leave the tank dormant a few months.

I'm starting to second guess myself now. i took the advice of a couple of senior members and some LFS people who said it could have been a fast moving fungal infection.

:-( I am sad again.

Lefty, I love you and all but in this instance I hope your wrong. lol
I've been going over the photos time and time again and I can see where youre coming from. Thats what sucks the most I think.

If you have ich, you can left the aquarium like that but you will need to change the salinity, you can add melafix (API) - this is the most natural antibacterial, just to confirm that is safe with corals and also inverts, normally it will take from 4 - 6 weeks. I will say that for now you will need a break to be able to think without any more stress.
Hope that this will help you...
Peace!!

carey said:
I believe 6-8 weeks.

I made a judgement call putting the clowns in there, I hope it doesnt come back and bite me on the butt.

I'm really starting to stress this all again. If it's ich then I'm pretty much screwed unless I take everything out treat and leave the tank dormant a few months.

I'm starting to second guess myself now. i took the advice of a couple of senior members and some LFS people who said it could have been a fast moving fungal infection.

:-( I am sad again.

Lefty, I love you and all but in this instance I hope your wrong. lol
I've been going over the photos time and time again and I can see where youre coming from. Thats what sucks the most I think.

I missed the actinic the first time round. I hope someone with ich experience can go over that photo for you. I lost my fish because I was hoping... :(

Sorry too stress you but I was going through old pics this am and I thought, I should look to see if you had before photos.

Don't stress though, print that actinic pic and show it to someone who knows, or Post the actinic pic under disease forum with no history and see what the consensus is.

there are waits to speed up the ich die off, raise the tank temp to 84 degrees, raise or decrease the salinity. just let it sit for a few weeks or months, don't rush things, just think you'll have less work to do with no fish in the 125, less water changes and less glass cleanings and best of all now you learned to have a QT when you're dealing with a mixed system.

Back
Top Bottom