Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
I put the system together myself, it wasnt a used tank. I'm pretty sure its the blue tang that started all this. But I prob will never know.

I still intend on QT'ing anything that goes into the big tank, just to be sure. My cube isnt heavily stocked at all and neither is the pico so think I can be safe in those tanks.

I'm waiting on a used 20g or so tank with stand from the inlaws that I will use as a QT since I think a 10g will be too small. I also ruled out using my 55g as a QT, well I think I did anyways. Life would be ALOT easier if I just used that tank. LOL

I don't understand,I thought the tank in question was a used tank per your very first post.

Yeah, the tank and stand are the only used things. Everything else was new. Oh, and the LR was moved from my other tanks to add up to the 200lbs or so I have now.

The tank hadn't been used in months though and was thoroughly cleaned out several times. It also was water tested for about 2 weeks too. :)

i think she means it wasn't set up used ( fish water already in etc )

Did you ever read back through wolf to see what happened to my tank? I lost my ORA clowns. :-( I'm really sad about that. And most of my other fish too

I have the yellow tang, a pink spotted watchman goby and a lawnmower blenny left.

It was just horrible.

Yeah, it seems the blue tang came in sick and took out the tank. I lost the ora clowns, a royal gramma, the kole tang, the blue tang and the anthias.

Do you remember when I killed my candycane goby in my cube? Well, LOL, he is in the 125 now and still alive. Just saw him yesterday. lol you were right abotu him.

So far. The last ones to die were the clowns about a week ago. Whatever it is it kills the fish in like 24 hours. Each fish died within a day of each other. Really weird. But the last 3 look fine. The symptoms are stopping eating and then they hide really well. Then within 24 hrs the fish would die. These last 3 are still eating and not hiding.

I'm hoping I have seen the last of whatever it was. I'm not adding anything for a bit just in case.

Now, how about you? I don't see any fish in your sw tank!! Get on that!

a 24hr killer?! yikes i thought nothing did that and i start work monday and get paid that following friiday so guess whos hopefully gona get fish that weekend! i just dont know what to get to be honest

You'll find something really awesome. Youll see. Just don't rush into the fish, you can't have that many so you wanna make your selections very carefully.

You should check out my pico build too, I've added soo much into it. It looks totally awesome! My favorite tank right now. And I ordered FW fish and shrimp from severum mama for my new 20L tank, I'm waiting on the mailman right now to deliver my new babies.

Sorry to flaunt my own threads, but youve been away for awhile i didn't want you to miss anything! LOL

lol im up to date on pico i just read no comment i feel i cant help there (to little water for me lol) i dont want to go off topic il go breathe life into my sw thread and ask what to get

Carey, I agree with you that there are LOTs of different opinions. Lots of "experts" do things that sound crazy. But, here are two caveats to that on the dilemma of QT.

Maybe they see no need to Qt. Maybe THEY have never had an outbreak like this, because they've been super lucky. It doesn't happen to everyone. Or Maybe they have a supplier that QT's for them. We have an LFS near us that does. Maybe they keep their tank at a lower SG and disease isn't able to get a foothold. So many variables and the thing to remember is... In the end this isn't their tank. Their experiences are going to be completely different than yours. That doesn't make anyone wrong.

Second... There is no doubt about the role that experience plays in this hobby. A lot of these "experts" will tell you that they can get away with things that inexperienced people shouldn't even try. They know the fish and the coral and and pick out superior specimens. They know exactly what they can get away with and can't and can push boundaries that could make newer tanks fail. They can recognize signs, that new folks miss, much faster and avoid the complete disasters.

When we decided to get out tank, my husband and I started picking up every bit of knowledge we could. We window shopped for years and read text by every conceivable expert. Two of my absolute favorites are Anthony Calfo and Bob Fenner. We cruised lots of forums and read lots of information. We took every bit of advice and then formulated an opinion on it. And then we decided what WE thought made sense. And that's the big magic moment.

YOU need to take in all the information and pick out the pieces that work for you, that make the BEST sense to you. That is what every one of the "experts" did and that's how they became "experts". They came up with a system that works in their tanks, in their special situations and have made it work for years.

This "difference in opinions" is found on every facet of reef keeping. What food is best, what light is best, whether or not to QT... Blah blah blah. On each side there are countless success stories and it boils down to this. There is more than one way to skin a cat... Err fish.. Ah never mind you get my drift. There is no right or wrong answer. Folks do what works for them. And if it works for them... That is wonderful! But it doesn't take very long to look around and see someone say "that doesn't work and this is what it did to my tank". Follow your gut and decide what make sense to YOU. You went with no QT, added fish and got seriously burnt. QT now makes good sense to you. For whatever reason you do not appear to have the puzzle pieces needed to run your tank without QT. And that is what it is. Not right, not wrong. Just tried and true experience in YOUR tanks. Welcome to the road to "expertise"

Maya, that is one of the most concise and helpful responses I've read. it really is my decision, being that it is my tank. i just have to get a better feel for it which will come in time. I'd give you rep, but it wont let me. lol

I still think I will QT, maybe have the shop hold them for a week or 2 then hold them in my qt for a week or two. That sounds like a solid plan to me. If I had qt'ed that tang this thread would be a lot shorter.

The experts are just that because they have tried and experienced alot of things so their knowledge base is greater. I hope to get to that place one day.

For now I'm letting my tank settle down, I MAY, not for sure , add the oscellaris clowns from my cube one day soon. I bought a watchman for the cube and he's getting harassed by the clowns.

I appreciate the time and effort that you took to respond. makes me feel better about my decisions.

I'm glad it helped. I see a lot of folks get very frustrated with so many different opinions out there. We are used to a right and wrong answer and there just isn't one here. What works for one guy doesn't always work for another and a lot of folks give up before they realize that their situation is unique. Not like anyone else's because nobody exactly replicates their exact circumstances. Every "expert" stood in your shoes, frustrated as all go get out it by a lack of solid answers and then they made it work.

Think of the forum as a place to brainstorm before your write your own story. Here is where you gather your research but your tank is where you write your own plot. Good luck!

Maya said:
Carey, I agree with you that there are LOTs of different opinions. Lots of "experts" do things that sound crazy. But, here are two caveats to that on the dilemma of QT.

Maybe they see no need to Qt. Maybe THEY have never had an outbreak like this, because they've been super lucky. It doesn't happen to everyone. Or Maybe they have a supplier that QT's for them. We have an LFS near us that does. Maybe they keep their tank at a lower SG and disease isn't able to get a foothold. So many variables and the thing to remember is... In the end this isn't their tank. Their experiences are going to be completely different than yours. That doesn't make anyone wrong.

Second... There is no doubt about the role that experience plays in this hobby. A lot of these "experts" will tell you that they can get away with things that inexperienced people shouldn't even try. They know the fish and the coral and and pick out superior specimens. They know exactly what they can get away with and can't and can push boundaries that could make newer tanks fail. They can recognize signs, that new folks miss, much faster and avoid the complete disasters.

When we decided to get out tank, my husband and I started picking up every bit of knowledge we could. We window shopped for years and read text by every conceivable expert. Two of my absolute favorites are Anthony Calfo and Bob Fenner. We cruised lots of forums and read lots of information. We took every bit of advice and then formulated an opinion on it. And then we decided what WE thought made sense. And that's the big magic moment.

YOU need to take in all the information and pick out the pieces that work for you, that make the BEST sense to you. That is what every one of the "experts" did and that's how they became "experts". They came up with a system that works in their tanks, in their special situations and have made it work for years.

This "difference in opinions" is found on every facet of reef keeping. What food is best, what light is best, whether or not to QT... Blah blah blah. On each side there are countless success stories and it boils down to this. There is more than one way to skin a cat... Err fish.. Ah never mind you get my drift. There is no right or wrong answer. Folks do what works for them. And if it works for them... That is wonderful! But it doesn't take very long to look around and see someone say "that doesn't work and this is what it did to my tank". Follow your gut and decide what make sense to YOU. You went with no QT, added fish and got seriously burnt. QT now makes good sense to you. For whatever reason you do not appear to have the puzzle pieces needed to run your tank without QT. And that is what it is. Not right, not wrong. Just tried and true experience in YOUR tanks. Welcome to the road to "expertise"

Well stated maya... I myself can relate I just added my last fish.. and found out 4 days later I have ich.. havnt added a fish in monthes.
O well u learn right?

+1 maya... Your post gives a concrete explaination of our hobby and the search for "right and wrong" answers. Idk honestly Carey, there's got to be a way to have your water tested for any diseases. You know how humans catch the 24 hour stomach bug, kinda sounds like whatever hit your fish, only resulting in death. It killed off fish quickly but also burned out quickly. Ultimately I hope that this is a sort of humbling experience for you. You've been through this now and now have better lknowledge and understanding of it. Obviously, you will be a proponent of qt'ing fro$ now on.

As to using the 55 for a qt it would be expensive to dose meds or any other treatment. Dad didn't want to qt the new fish until I told him what happened to your tank guess who's on board now. Sorry to hear about the fish x

As to using the 55 for a qt it would be expensive to dose meds or any other treatment. Dad didn't want to qt the new fish until I told him what happened to your tank guess who's on board now. Sorry to hear about the fish l

Yep, I'm on the fence with the 55g. If the fish turned up sick I could move it from the 55g to a 10g for treatment. Just a hassle to move the fish I guess. Theres only CUC in the 55g rightnow so they can't really catch anything if the fish were sick plus I am selling the setup some time soon. Maybe after re-stocking this tank?

Back
Top Bottom