Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm just going from what other people have used. The pool sand had a larger grain consistency and the play sand was nice. I think the sand contains silica which I'm not sure is bad or not. I've just been told to rinse it well.

Anyone have an opinion? Play sand or pool sand?

Play sand has Silica in it which is bad (so ive read) and the Pool Filter Sand is a larger more coarse sand, better for substrate because the play sand is very fine and the fish can get in into your filters and the gravel vac sucks up alot more of it.

You may want to speak with Mr. Limpet. He has a lot of experience with PFS vs play sand. Im sure you have but also take into consideration the cleaning of the different types of sand. Either way i'm following along, since I have on all of your builds. Super job by the way!

I started another thread hoping to get a wider audience. I also have heard that the play sand has something in it but no idea if its that bad or can be rinsed away.

Other than the sand I am working on a filter. I am shopping my butt off! I see so many but not quite sure what i want I guess. I've thought about making my own but I really don't trust myself to do a decent job. LOL
Everything I'm looking at is at least $200 plus the overflows plus the pump. I'm watching a great sump on ebay but it has 4 more days to go. :-(

I believe its the silica that causes the problems. I know pool filter sand comes with it either in it or without it. From what i've read is you can get a 50lb bag of PFS for like 8 bucks.

Yea there are lots of deals out there. I would just explore every avenue that you can. It's just unfortunate that in this hobby you can't go the cheaper route on alot of things.

Silica in sand is in crystal form and is not a problem. The silica thing is another myth that exists in the aquarium world.

Silica in sand is in crystal form and is not a problem. The silica thing is another myth that exists in the aquarium world.

Won't cause an algae outbreaks or anything else? The play sand was $3 for 50lbs and the pool filter sand was $7 for 50lbs. If I can get away with either one it will let me get some awesome stuff I couldn't otherwise afford. Spending $250 on sand is way way over my budget.

Oh, sorry, it's just what i have read. ****!

Green,

Do you know why people perceive it as a bad thing?

Silica is used in the formation of the cell wall in diatoms. So dissolved silicates can/will cause diatom blooms. But the silica in sand is in crystal form and doesn't dissolve readily in an aquarium. In fact an aquarium is made out of silica sand (how they make glass) but it has additives in it to make it easier to work with. It also makes the silica less bound then it is in the sand. You ever see an old tank that has a bunch of pits on the inside? That's the glass slowly dissolving.

I found another possible sump. I know this guy too, I bought my very first live rock and sand from him. :-D

XLG SUMP/REFUGIUM WITH WATER TOP OFF SYSTEM FOR FISH/REEF TANK

What do you guys think? it looks to have enough room although not sure if there is a separate compartment on the left for the skimmer that would divide the refugium from it.

I don't wanna call the guy unless I'm sure. lol

the sump looks good carey there is space for things in it.

have you chosen a skimmer yet?

on a side not when you start the DSB make sure you put the LR on the bottom glass first then fill in the sand

i have no idea lol never looked into that as my 26g is to small for a sump, but when i go to a larger tank i'll probably end up drilling the overflows, mr.x put a link where they send you the bits and everythign you need to do for a rather cheap price

i see its like a rush im going to end up living through her tank now. its hard trailing from behind 2 weeks seems like months here

Back
Top Bottom