Carey's LAST Build- 125g Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think that should be enough flow for it to begin with, if you want more flow later on you can always add more.

as for the sand it should be fine, just be sure to rinse it off

The "quikrete" kinda throws me off since I associate that with cement. LOL Will it be silicate free do you think? It doesn't say on the close up of the bag. Or is all "play" sand silicate free?

Cool deal for the powerheads, I was so hoping I didn't have to drop $100 each on magnums or something. I figure I'll put the smaller ones on the back wall and the new ones on each side and have them all crash somewhere in the middle.

This is gonna be so much fun! I can't wait til Monday when I can get some cash! I'm thinking of getting 100lbs of base rock from reefcleaners insted of 50...not sure yet though. I';d love to save some money. I already have 100lbs in my 55, 20lbs in my pod tank and 50lbs in my 29g that I have for sale. I may even steal some out of my cube.

Good idea to stick with just 50lbs? I don't want the tank to be empty but I don't want rocks all precariously balanced like they are in my 55 now.

even if there were silicates in the sand i wouldn't worry to much about them. glass is melted down sand, and if the silicate in the glass don't disolve, then how likely are the silicates in the sand going to do this.

the whole play sand thign is a myth , have a friend who uses only play sand and has never had an issues and the hole algae causing myth is also a crock also

carey i used that sand from lowes in my old 180 didnt have any issues

The "play sand" isn't as good as "pool sand" because the play sand tends to have more sharp edges (like broken glass) where as the pool sand tends to be more rounded like it is in lakes and oceans. The play sand can cut sensitive fish like sand sifting gobies... Or at least that is what I have heard. It could be wrong but if you could get the pool sand I would say that would be your best bet.

you'd think that over time these sharp edges would eventually round off from the movement and brushing up against other particals of sand, but it can be possible to get glass and stuff in it if you don't clean it properly

I think I will hit up a pool supply place. What EXACTLY do I need to buy? I've seen people go and get the wrong one. Silicate free right? Is there any size in particular?

Yes if you have lots of movement in your sand then over the next few years it would round off the sharp "glass like" edges of your sand. Most play sand has been mined from dry ground and is "sorted" often times the "sand" is just the smaller portions of broken rock and has not had the chance to get rounded off. Play sand has lots of silica crystals in it. The crystals are often very sharp, like little shards of glass...

Silicate isn't a huge deal... given that glass is silica... the silica in the glass actually dissolves into the water long before the crystals in the sand do. But I'm not sure if what you are supposed to get is the "silicate free" one. Size is personal preference, but to large and some of your fish won't like it, or if it is almost dust like then you will get a mud pie at the bottom that gets kicked up every time anything touches it

Wish I lived closer to you Carey. I have a Marineland Model 3 sump I need to sale never even been used. Was saving it for when I upgraded my 29 to 75. Instead I just bought a 125 that is coming with everything including sump, fish, coral, lights, stand etc for $400. On my way to get it now.

Nice!!! make sure you post some shots of the setup when you get it together!
It's so exciting, isn't it? LOL

Wish I lived closer to you Carey. I have a Marineland Model 3 sump I need to sale never even been used. Was saving it for when I upgraded my 29 to 75. Instead I just bought a 125 that is coming with everything including sump, fish, coral, lights, stand etc for $400. On my way to get it now.

wow and you just bought a 180 gallon :p

you can always have the sump shipped to her, but i don't know if it would be to large to have shipped

I'm still looking locally for a sump. I won't have any money til Monday though. :-( If I buy new I may just get a regular old berlin type sump. Still shopping!

And the tank is still holding!! It's been almost a week. I feel this is a good sign.

I am just aching to move the tanks around, I go in the garage and just stare at it. LOL Still trying to sell my 29g so I can't put the 125g into place until that happens. I will be dropping my price so hopefully someone will pick it up.

Carey, why don't you build a sump. There are 30-55 gallon tanks for dirt cheap, sometimes free on CL. Speaking of which, there is a guy in Tampa that posted a wanted ad for a 120 or larger with dual overflows, furniture, and preferably the sump and lights. His budget was free, lol. You have to have some nerve to expect people to offer you a large reef for free.

Lol, how much is the pool sand, I may have to consider this if I can save some substantial money. Are there any draw backs to using the pool sand?

I also found this in home depot. I think I like the texture better than the pool sand.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110518_120235.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110518_120235.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 206
I've heard not to use play sand because of something that is in it. I don't remember what it was, I just got a big warning against play sand.

Back
Top Bottom