Careys New 55g Reef Help thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK I did it, bought a 55g SW setup for tank number five.

I have alot of questions as I want to do this one right. I kinda threw together the 29g before I knew anything.

heres the listing I got:
AQUARIUM 55 GALLON SALTWATER OR FRESH WATER COMPLETE - eBay (item 220744465357 end time Apr-24-11 20:24:25 PDT)

I plan on possibly moving the 40lbs of LR I currently have and maybe the 30lbs of sand too. Think that would be too much? 70lbs LR total and 80lbs LS? Sounds like too much sand....
Anyway was also wondering if there will be a cycle, I dont think there will be but I'd like input on that too.

The guy is delivering and setting it up on tuesday, he's even bringing the water in the tank.

Any and ALL input welcome!!

Thanks for all the continued help on my projects guys, i really appreciate it.

no. that's not too much rock or sand, providing the rock fits nicely (aesthetically).
80 pounds of sand will only give you about a 2.5" sand bed.

i think there will be a cycle if the tank is established. hard to tell from the pictures, but it doesn't look that old. plus, you are thinking of transferring your sand. everything is going to get pretty stirred up.
also, how is he transporting the rock? will it be out of water for any length of time? expect some die off if so.

btw, "doing this one right" would require me to drill that tank before i set it up. i would put everything in bins with that tank water and drill the tank. you can buy everything you need from glass holes.com.

The new tank has been set up for only a few months at this guys house. He will be transporting the rock with the water and the sand in the tank, he only lives 25 miles away and is breaking it down right b4 dleivery. My current tank has also only been set up for a few months so I'm, not sure if my sand has anything in it to really cause a spike. I was intending to run both tanks for maybe a few weeks to make sure the new tanks parameters are stable.

Also, I have a phosphate issue in my 29g. I believe its the rock leaching so I was going to monitor that and maybe put that in my new 55g but I think I will play it safe and just buy another 30lbs form LFS. Whats your thoughts on that? I've been using ro/di water exclusively and running gfo in the hob. Still stuck at 1.0ppm using a salifert test kit.

i wish i could run a sump setup this time around but NO room underneath. i anticipate upgrading within a year though and will have one then, I promise. :)

thanks for taking the time Mr.X, I really really appreciate it.

interesting about the rock. are you seeing adverse effects from the detectable phosphate? i have never had ocean rock leach phosphates, or at least i never detected any. what are you paying for 30 pounds of LR these days? about 200 bucks? i think i would work with what i had, to be honest.

your scenario with the 2 tanks sounds to be about the same thing i would do. seems like you can't get hurt this way, and both tanks being pretty new, your probably right.

no. that's not too much rock or sand, providing the rock fits nicely (aesthetically).
80 pounds of sand will only give you about a 2.5" sand bed.

i think there will be a cycle if the tank is established. hard to tell from the pictures, but it doesn't look that old. plus, you are thinking of transferring your sand. everything is going to get pretty stirred up.
also, how is he transporting the rock? will it be out of water for any length of time? expect some die off if so.

btw, "doing this one right" would require me to drill that tank before i set it up. i would put everything in bins with that tank water and drill the tank. you can buy everything you need from glass holes.com.

i wouldn't say it needs to be drilled but drillign it is infact nicer lookign then a HOB overflow. alot of folk might say not to drill it as you may want to sell it after or if you decide to go big you can always turn that 55 into a very nice sump/refugium

interesting about the rock. are you seeing adverse effects from the detectable phosphate? i have never had ocean rock leach phosphates, or at least i never detected any. what are you paying for 30 pounds of LR these days? about 200 bucks? i think i would work with what i had, to be honest.

your scenario with the 2 tanks sounds to be about the same thing i would do. seems like you can't get hurt this way, and both tanks being pretty new, your probably right.

My calcium levels haven't dipped due to the phosphates and I've only had one issue with a brain coral bleaching out, otherwise my dozen or so corals are thriving and growing. I've been reading phos 1.0 since I started the tank and I have probably replaced the water 100 fold. I was doing a daily 10% change for weeks and the gfo has been replaced several times. I can only point to the LR or the sand as the source. The hair algae I had was taken care of by my blenny and a sea hare.

maybe its just your test kit. have you tried gettign a new phosphate tester? thats really weird to constantly read 1.0ppm even with that many PWC and while running GFO

I've had it tested at the lfs who also uses salifert. On the API test it comes up less, like .25. I've tested my incoming ro water, tested it after mixing my salt so the phosphate is coming from the tank no doubt about it. I was reading 1.0 even before I had any creatures in it.

i don't think the lps bleaching was due to phosphates. i see too many people (including myself) putting them under too much light. IME, they are low to medium light corals (i'm thinking of wellsophyllia, tracyphyllia, lobophyllia, cynarina, scolymia...when you mention brain coral).

I had the tracyphyllia on the sand bed too. I was careful not to give it too much light. I'm only running 30" inch odyseaa t5's no less.

So now onto my lighting questions, :)

The setup comes with a t5 4x54watt unit. I'mnot sure how old the bulbs are so I was going to replace them to be sure. Any recommendations on bulbs? What are the best bulbs? They all seem relatively close in price even the german bulbs. I'm keeping alot of corals and am moving into sps now so I want the best possible lights I can get.

I've been told the golden rule with tanks is not to transport them with water in it's too much pressure on tank and will cause leaks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

LOL The tanks coming with just sand in it. The water is coming in tubs with the LR and the rest in containers. I dont think anyone could move a full 55g tank. hehe

Maybe he-man lol

Sent from my HTC ANDROID INCREDIBLE using Aquarium

ATI lamps are my favorite. those and giesemann bulbs are about the best. they put out the most PAR, and in my opinion, looks the best as well. wait until you change out the bulbs...it will be light someone flicked a light on!
i know a vendor that drop ships lamps to your door. he's the cheapest i've seen. LMK and i'll put you in touch.

The giesemann were what i was looking at. The ati are cheaper where Ive been looking. I will prob go with them if they give a good solid color. Any recommendations on color? I know I need 2 aetnic ones but what spectrum would work best for alot of corals? I no longer have the anemone in my tank btw so no special lighting for him required.

I have alot of mostly beginner corals, just got 2 arcopora frags but thats about it. I will note my brain color was potentially bleached by my t5's in my current setup so I would like to avoid that again.

Thanks for the advice X.

Umm dumb question but which bulb is which? Is the aqua blue the aetnic? or the aquaplus?

Back
Top Bottom