Carey's QT to Regular Tank Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I guess it's time to abandon the QT idea and make future plans for the injured fish inside. I have since added a very small kenyi to the tank to keep the sick johanni company. I know its a small tank but if it gets too big too fast he join the big cichlid tank.

I guess the first question is do I really have to cycle? I tried medication, penicillin and an antiparasitic with the carbon out of course. This of course did nothing for the fish. So, all these medications put me back at an uncycled tank, yes?

Did my water tests:
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 1.0!
Nitrate 10
Temp 79
PH 8.2

other than the high nitrite it looks to be moving. Gonna go do a pwc and see where it gets me.

Did a pwc and now I'm at:

Amonnia: 0
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: .25

Does this just look like a mini cycle? Maybe the medicines didnt kill off all my beneficial bacteria?

So, if anyone is actually reading any of this, I was thinking on removing the holey rock I have in there and maybe try some live plants. Only have 2 X 15 watt incandescent bulbs so not sure what would or could grow.

Here are some pictures. I love my babies LOL

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 86
I did read it.

Looks like your levels are down now, yes I think that the meeds messed the cycled up, you will need to keep with your PWC.

As for the rock, I will let it in, looks like your fish liked it no? Plus if this will be a treatment tank, doesn't hurt it because your fish will be here for a short period of time.

The rock also will help you to keep a good stable ph, rocks some times act as a buffer.

Thanks for reading. Thought I was all alone LOL.

The tank was supposed to be QT but I am trying to cycle it and maybe dress it up for the fish inside. I've heard the sick fish could linger months (he will never be back in the DT) so I've pretty much lost my QT hehe

Yeah, I bought the rock so that I wouldnt have to mess with ph. Def helps keep it up.

Oh and my AM readings are:
ammon: 0
nitrite: .25
nitrates: 5.0

I guess this is kinda for my self so i can go back and check out what I did. I hate plugging every tanks parameters into my phone app everyday.

Maybe your cycle is still going, keep an eye on those nitrites.

But maybe with the meeds was just a mini cycle.

If the tank it is not going to be a QT, then go ahead and make the changes that you like most, if the rock bothers you and you like live plants, tins is your chance!

This morning the tests read:

ammonia .25
nitrite .25
nitrate 10

Looks like it's in the middle of cycling. Least the ammonia stays down with 2 fish in such a small tank. didn't do a pwc yesterday but will do one now.

The sick fish is still hanging in there. Looks to be perfect other than the back part of him is paralyzed. He's eating flake again at least, might try some more peas but I dont think thats' gonna cure him.

Gonna look at some cheap low light plants today see if I can't spruce it up a bit in there. Not sure if regular gravel is good for planting.
Anyone?

Gonna look at some cheap low light plants today see if I can't spruce it up a bit in there. Not sure if regular gravel is good for planting.
Anyone?

My Anubias spp. grow like weeds. Some in low light, some with just window light, some in bright light. I don't know about gravel though - my substrates are all either sand or sand + gravel.

The plants never look good when i go look. I think I remember the anubias as an easy low light plant. The gravel I have now is straight from walmart, kinda large-ish stones. never thought this tank was gonna be a "real
tank lol

This mornings test results:
ammonia .25
nitrite 0
nitrate 2.5

hmm no nitrites..will retest this evening and do pwc.

I guess this is kinda for my self so i can go back and check out what I did. I hate plugging every tanks parameters into my phone app everyday.

I gave up on that a while back ago!!! Such a pain!! I use dry erase and write it right on the side of my tank. It keeps it all right there for me!

If there was a wall open for a dry erase board I'd have a fish tank there! LOL

I kinda like my little diary here. Giving me practice so when I get my new 120 gallon I can do my build thread. :)

Thanks for reading .

Today we have
no ammonia
no nitrites
2.5 on the nitrate scale.

coming along very slowly it seems.
I might also have to remove the kenyi i put in with the johanni, looks like he isnt that sick after all. All he does is bother the poor kenyi. Just hate to put him in with the big boys just yet.

I think we might be cycled.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 2.5

Would have liked to see the nitrates spike a bit more to be sure. But I think the results are good. I'll just check through the weekend to be sure.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom