Carey's Rimless LED Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
Little yellow goby has found his spot and the blenny too. They ate at the store and just now too so I'm feeling good about them. :)

Now I just need a few more micro fish and I'll be set. lol

can't believe I found such cute cheap fish in such a high end store. $10 a piece. And I got a good lesson in ato's to boot. a productive day for sure.

Now I just gotta pick out some more nano fish to finish this tank off as far as fish. then it;s back to corals.

Thats great that they are settling in! What is the minimum size aquarium for a clown goby? Thank you.

I had one in my 4g pico and he had moer than enough room. Mine was a a percher though so he doesnt swim around much, just to get his dinner. :) I think its 10g recommended. They get to an inch big. Mine is about half an inch.

carey said:
I had one in my 4g pico and he had moer than enough room. Mine was a a percher though so he doesnt swim around much, just to get his dinner. :) I think its 10g recommended. They get to an inch big. Mine is about half an inch.

Thanks! What brand was your pico? Sorry for all of these questions lol.

No worries. It is a finnex 4g came with a light 23 watts and a tiny filter for liek $60. I kep t mostly coral in it though until I got too much coral than it could handle. lol

here it is, or here it was, I totally broke it down yesterday and it's on craiglist now.

it was alot of fun to setup but also alot of work since the water volume was so small.

img_1537634_0_a53da52e23a0201fdfd3dd80fcb89128.jpg

img_1537634_1_6f42cbb9fd345cf299054de76840b8fb.jpg

carey said:
No worries. It is a finnex 4g came with a light 23 watts and a tiny filter for liek $60. I kep t mostly coral in it though until I got too much coral than it could handle. lol

here it is, or here it was, I totally broke it down yesterday and it's on craiglist now.

it was alot of fun to setup but also alot of work since the water volume was so small.

Ok thank you!! Great pictures! I appreciate the help!

So while making my BRS wish list I thought maybe I would upgrade the bulb on my MH fixture. I currently am using a 20k $10 bulb off ebay. I was thinking a ushio 20k bulb woudl be a great upgrade without getting crazy expensive.

Since Mr X was explaining the PAr and such of bulbs he suggested that a good PAR bulb owuld be ok for my corals even at a 20k spectrum. Im guessing the ebay cheapo bulb isnt gonna produce much par, so maybe I should get a new bulb? I don't think I'm gonna get to the LED's for awhile, too many choices and too many variables.

Anyone else use ushio bulbs? Are they a really good upgrade to the crappy bulb I'm using now? I would say yes but I'm just learning about PAR and MH's.

Thanks!!

they say the XM 20k is a pretty high PAR lamp as far as 20k lamps go.
also check out the phoenix 14k. IMO, it has a nice amount of blue and is a pretty powerful lamp.

I was going to take advantage of the BRS group buy, lemme see if they have phoenix. I think they have the xm....

Thanks as always....

Yep, no phoenix but they do have the xm and its not too much more. I chose the 20k. Would 15k XM not be blue enough, you seem to have the same taste in color that i do.

Getting bored while my water is being made so I took some new pictures of this tank. Hope I don't bore you allto death but I just love my tanks! This is all with a cheap 20k metal halide bulb. I'm planning on getting a quality 20k bulb next week.

img_1538731_0_444f548d3a1342c1fa817069d11be0bb.jpg

img_1538731_1_1ed27d667d7dfbc7a2e01a29a4d3cb9a.jpg

img_1538731_2_27434fd19bce651874a9660bf8d6b818.jpg

img_1538731_3_99a78b2bb4fccc17cbac42203e508630.jpg

looks great. you know you can feed all those LPS right? why not lower that halide a few more inches?

I was thinking that as well, it seems awful high. lol I havent been feeding any of my corals at all. Didn't think it was necessary...would rods coral food work?

you don't have to. but try feeding those duncans and see how fat and robust they look. yeah, rods food will work, if you already have it. if not, a chopped up raw shrimp from the supermarket will work well also.

Hey Carey, my halide sit's about 4" above my 30 gal. I posted earlier that I really liked the Phoenix 14k, been using it for 3 years. If you wanna try it and not liking the color (which I think is awesome) I'll buy it from you (need new one in about 5 months anyways). :)

Back
Top Bottom