Carey's Rimless LED Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, but it is for comparason. If you 'were' looking for more coverage 3vs 1 watt would bemore important.

I don't know why thy used so many 1 watters, except that they get more even coverage

Ok, so I;ve been thinking about the stocking of this tank. My intention was to move the pair of B&W clowns over to it from my cube but I've been thinking of other stocking ideas.

I currently have two fish in this tank, a half inch green clown goby and a inch long barnacle blenny. I was thinking of instead adding alot of micro fish. Like 1 inch long tops. I could fit a ton of them in there while if I move the clowns I'm pretty limited as to what else I could add.

I'm looking into every fish I can that's an inch or less and have come up with quite the list. LOL

SO should I go for alot of stock of teeny tiny fish or go large with the clowns? While my cube is stocked pretty well I think I can get away with keeping the clowns in there along with the current stock I have in the cube.

Whatcha think? Also taking suggestions for small tiny fish as well. :)

Thank you so much for everything guys!

IMO I think that the micro-fish idea is pretty neat. Not a lot of people can say they've tried that.

That's part of the reason I was thinking of doing it. This tank is supposed to be different, what with the rimless and potential leds' I'm still shopping for.

I love just seeing a tiny fish jut out and grab some food, it's as much fun s the larger fish if not more so. Just wouldnt have alot of swimming activity all the time like I would with the clowns but that might be cool as well. It is primarily a coral tank.

Thanks for the vote!

I have a similar light for my 30gal its bigger than that one. I love it the leds make for a good night time effect. On the other hand th mh you have seem to me will be more benifical if your wanting to do hard coral. Even so in such a small tank some would say the t5 Ho will do both. I personally like the mh

8 bulbs seem like alot to me, you don't want to burn or bleach your corals. How about a 6 bulb fixture. I burned my poor goniopora and galaxy coral with my halide on so I'm looking for a 6 bulb fixture for under 250. Let me kno if you find one.

Those would be a waste. 4 with indivdual reflectors would get more par/watt

Got two new little fishies today!! I can't come home empty handed now could I?
LOL

Pictures in a few...

8 bulbs seem like alot to me, you don't want to burn or bleach your corals. How about a 6 bulb fixture. I burned my poor goniopora and galaxy coral with my halide on so I'm looking for a 6 bulb fixture for under 250. Let me kno if you find one.
you didn't acclimate them properly is all. i keep a galaxia under a 250 watt halide and it loves it. it's not too much light. especially if you like sps.

So here are the pictures. They are almost done acclimating. I got a two spot blenny and a yellow clown goby. The blenny seems kinda rare so I was hooked. I know about the twin spot gobies already but a blenny had me intrigued. They are beyond tiny but so cute. I don;t expect to get better pictures as they will get lost in the tank but here is what I got

img_1537456_0_ccfbf44bee3403e4b4e7de716cc0c163.jpg

img_1537456_1_7efe6ae69ed99b9c20ac56e0f0f82775.jpg

img_1537456_2_8e56d7993024faf5bec2e46489311f2b.jpg

So here are the pictures. They are almost done acclimating. I got a two spot blenny and a yellow clown goby. The blenny seems kinda rare so I was hooked. I know about the twin spot gobies already but a blenny had me intrigued. They are beyond tiny but so cute. I don;t expect to get better pictures as they will get lost in the tank but here is what I got

img_1537464_0_ccfbf44bee3403e4b4e7de716cc0c163.jpg

img_1537464_1_7efe6ae69ed99b9c20ac56e0f0f82775.jpg

img_1537464_2_8e56d7993024faf5bec2e46489311f2b.jpg

Awesome fish! Do you know if multipule clown gobies will get along?

I've heard it can both ways. Some get along alright some don't. I figured since theres so much rockwork they wont hardly ever come across one another. The yellow is a tiny but feisty little one. The green one I have already is pretty docile and shy. So it should work out. If need be I can always move one to the cube until I do another tank. LOL

I was so gonna order a yellow goby online yesterday, glad I waited, he was only $10 and this is from a super hi end lfs. I dont usually go there cause its so foo foo she she, but they posted that they had one and an anthias on facebook so I had to go in. Turns out they are redoing there whole shop and I will be going back. The guy actually showed me step by step how to set up an ato and a doser. I spent like 2 hours in there talking to him. Turns out he has his doctorate in marine biology. And he was a punk in the 80's like I was too. LOL We had some good conversations, had alot of fun and learned alot too.

redsea said:
Awesome fish! Do you know if multipule clown gobies will get along?

I used to have 2 green clown gobies and they did great together

Little yellow goby has found his spot and the blenny too. They ate at the store and just now too so I'm feeling good about them. :)

Now I just need a few more micro fish and I'll be set. lol

can't believe I found such cute cheap fish in such a high end store. $10 a piece. And I got a good lesson in ato's to boot. a productive day for sure.

Now I just gotta pick out some more nano fish to finish this tank off as far as fish. then it;s back to corals.

Back
Top Bottom