Carnivorous Pleco Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ellie029

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My Bristol nose Pleco keeps killing my other fish and eating them. There is algae all over the tank but it seems he is content with attacking other fish and eating them. How do make him stop.

Are you sure you aren't dying and your pleco is eating them ? I find it hard to believe a pleco would kill another fish, unless they keep eating their slime coat.

Pleco's will definitely chow down on a dead fish, for them to hunt a live one... Probably not. Tank stats? Age? Size? Stock? Cycled?

The Pleco keeps chasing one fish and the next day that fish is dead and he is eating. Plecos eat slime coats?? Would that kill the fish?

The answers to a few of the of the above questions would help folks greatly to help you. Bristlenose plecos are not carnivorous. They are scavengers only. Your fish are dying for other underlying reasons.

The Pleco keeps chasing one fish and the next day that fish is dead and he is eating. Plecos eat slime coats?? Would that kill the fish?
yes but most healthy fish can avoid a Pleco, if your fish are hanging on the bottom, listless, than they are an easy target for the hungriest of fish...

I forgot to add plecos aren't really huge algae eaters, you still need to provide tablets for them.

I agree, I find it very hard to believe the
BN is killing fish?? My guess is the tanks not cycled so fish are dying and he is chowing down! I noticed common plecos do a better glass clean up...BN seen to stick to the bottom and decor..

I forgot to add plecos aren't really huge algae eaters, you still need to provide tablets for them.

Sorry I disagree that plecos aren't huge algae eaters??? I have a huge one and he constantly cleans the algae in my tank..In the center of my tank I have a pirate ship with white sails that was always green and brown from algae and ever since I got him a year ago the sails are as white as a Dunkin Donuts cup! Lol...I do agree and it is a very good point they still need their Tablets. .I feed mine his every other night! He is 12" long...they do poop twice as much so I do extra water changes! Its worth it for him though!

Sorry I disagree that plecos aren't huge algae eaters??? I have a huge one and he constantly cleans the algae in my tank..In the center of my tank I have a pirate ship with white sails that was always green and brown from algae and ever since I got him a year ago the sails are as white as a Dunkin Donuts cup! Lol...I do agree and it is a very good point they still need their Tablets. .I feed mine his every other night! He is 12" long...they do poop twice as much so I do extra water changes! Its worth it for him though!

There are hundreds of pleco species. They eat everything from algae to wood to whatever. Depending on species.

Since this thread isnt going anywhere....

To the OP: you dont have a scobinancistrus/psuedacanthicus. You have an ancistrus. Your pleco isnt actively hunting and killing your fish, there is another underlying problem here that makes him sense their weakness. BNs only eat algae and occasionally some dead fish for a little protein. You need to give him algae tabs and small amount of shrimp pellets once a week...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No direction! That was my point! I was just joking with him...little(Sarcasm) because he jumped in saying "seen this post isnt going anywhere " like he had something new and helpful to add; but followed up with the same exact basic info almost word for word as the posts written above: "BN don't Hunt other fish", "feed them their algae Pellets", and "you have another underlying problem"...either way I was just messing around...but on a more serious note I hope the OP gets some ans. and things figured out. I have dealt with tense tanks where fish are fighting and you have to decide what fish to move rehome or keep. (If thats the problem)?

No direction! That was my point! I was just joking with him...little(Sarcasm) because he jumped in saying "seen this post isnt going anywhere " like he had something new and helpful to add; but followed up with the same exact basic info almost word for word as the posts written above: "BN don't Hunt other fish", "feed them their algae Pellets", and "you have another underlying problem"...either way I was just messing around...but on a more serious note I hope the OP gets some ans. and things figured out. I have dealt with tense tanks where fish are fighting and you have to decide what fish to move rehome or keep. (If thats the problem)?

Shark... do you have any idea who you're patronizing lol. His parameters arent the problem if his killer bn is still alive. My conclusion would be that he just starts off with sick fish from the store.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The BN could become aggressive/territorial if it's in a small tank or heavily stocked with bottom dwellers...

The BN could become aggressive/territorial if it's in a small tank or heavily stocked with bottom dwellers...

Never seen it and currently have two 20 grow out tanks with around 100 ABNs and some cories. Male BN to male BN aggression I can believe, but not towards other fish.

The fish are sick or the tank isn't cycled. They are dying of other causes. Period. Until the OP replies with any of the requested info, it is a completely moot point.

Ageed. I have BN plecos in almost every tank, including my shrimp tanks, and two breeding pairs, no aggression ever and they do wonderful for keeping my tanks clean. My reticulated hillstream loaches are more aggressive than the BNs.

There's definitely an underlying cause for the deaths and the BN is just doing what they do, scavenge.

I have 2 albino BNs (which are omnivorous) and a Sultan Pleco, which is (mostly) carnivorous but does take the occasional algae pellet. A Pleco, or any fish for that matter, will never turn down a free and easy meal. Plecos, in general, are not predatory, and even some strictly carnivorous plecos, like a zebra, or a sultan, will not hunt and kill. I parrot what everyone else has said about needing the chemical levels. Bio load, ammonia level, or if the fish are new could be an issue... Also, ich -- if gone unnoticed and untreated can demolish all but those heavily armored plecos and a dead or dying fish is, as I stated above, is a free and easy meal.

Reactions: HN1
Back
Top Bottom