Carpet/Grass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there a carpet plant or a thick grass plant that would be ok with this light?(one bulb)

image-2680230090.jpg

I like dwarf Hairgrass but was told it needs better light and now I'm wondering about chain sword

How deep is your tank (it effects the PAR of you light that would reach the carpet)? From what I've read, the best bet for a low light carpet is either a moss or dwarf sag.

Most carpeting plants other than those need higher light, which also means CO2.

It depends on your tank size... but for most tanks 36" in length, you'll need a few T8s to get the kind of light for DHG or HC.

And as previously stated, CO2 is going to be more important than lighting levels.

The only carpeting plant that "may" grow is Four Leaf Clover, Marsilea quadrifolia but it's a big "may".

I'm not a big fan of Dwarf Sag as a carpet and my daughter has it in a really low light 6g LED lit Fluval Edge but in that low of light it doesn't carpet or grow alot.

I think hydrocotyle japan can do alright in low light..I've seen some carpeting by trimming it and pressing it down. I was also told that marsilea minuta can work too but it's a real slow grower so it can take a while. I've also seen a pretty neat phoenix moss (fissidens) carpet.

Marsilea works well, but as stated, it can be a slow grower. It's about the only really dependable low light true carpet. Dwarf sag can work but no matter what you use, it can take time to spread.

The plants that come on mats or mesh are a good alternative, as they just need to be put in place and are already filled in. They can also be cut to fit. Dwarf pennywort and alot of the various mosses all can come this way. They are more costly but you get a lot of plants when you break down how much is grown in on the material.

I'll have to agree with Mr. Nano, hydrocotyle tripartita could be used in low lighting. I have it creeping in the shadows of an ebi with stock lighting no CO2. Leaves are also slightly bigger than it usually is in my bright tanks. I also have ranalisma rostrata in said tank but it rarely chains.

I've used hydrocotyle tripartita in low/med light tanks although admittedly it was a little frustrating trying to get it to consistently creep just along the bottom. I've also tried four leaf clover but gave up trying to get it to carpet when I realized how slowwwwww it grows. I'd suggest dwarf sag for now, even though it's not really a traditional carpet plant.

Ok maybe dwarf sag?

I second the suggestion. If you look at my post of ny 8 gal you will see the carpet of dwarf sag. It grows well under low light conditions, i dont use any external fertilisers or additional co2. I hope that this may help

Back
Top Bottom