Catalina Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pacu Man

Aquarium Advice Activist
I can't seem to find these guys anywhere are they rare or something? from what I've read they are pretty common.

You should be aware the Catalina gobies are a colder water fish and won't do well at the tropical temps we maintain our tanks. The are best kept in a tank with other critters from their own temp range ;)

I wasn't referring to information, but if like you guys went down to a LFS would you find one there?

Pacu Man,

I've never seen one at a LFS. I've always assumed that that is because they are a "specialty" item - they would need to kept in a species tank - at a cooler temperature than everything else sold by the SW LFS.

I've seen quite a few at my LFS just recently. They were, however, housed in a tank with clowns and a goby, so I would assume that there was no special temperature being observed in this tank. Is that a bad thing? Or could they stand it for a short period of time or should they just simply not be in this tank?

this is the downfall of many LFS'. There is little concern for the specific needs of the fish they cary. Their concerns are to "display and sell". Those fish should likely not have been in that tank. Or if the temp was right then the clown and goby should not have been in that tank.

Hmmmm, I too have heard and read that these cute little fish can only be kept in cooler water, but personally I have had great success keeping them in tropical waters as long as the temperature doesn't reach much over 78 degrees. I presently have 5 in my store right now. I have had these fish in the store for 3 months now. They are housed in a tank with a lot of calaurpa two red headed gobies and one baby bangaii cardinal. All the fish in this tank are getting along reasonably well, although the catalina gobies bicker amoung each other, I haven't seen any damage too their fins.
I am not sure if these are rare fish or not , but I rarely see them on our lists that I get from my suppliers.

but personally I have had great success keeping them in tropical waters as long as the temperature doesn't reach much over 78 degrees.

Just curious as to whether you have any idea as to their longevity at these temps? I would think the higher temps (they are from waters that rarely get over 72*F), would be more of a chronic stressor that would severly shorten lifespan, and increase likelyhood of disease, rather than kill quickly.

I am not sure just exactly what the life span of a catalina goby is. I have had in the past three of these cute little fish in a three gallon reef and the lived for about three years. If their life span is longer than three years than the higher temps did indeed shorten their life , but , I am not sure. More investigating may need to be done about this issue. Anyone else reading these messages have any idea? :?

seeing how i am also very interested in these fish, i have been doing alot of research on them... it seems that they will live in normal reef style tempatures, but for a very short time, normally like 4,5 mounth's.. the the real question has to become. is this fish so important to my tank that im willing to let it die, becuse of my ignorence. I whould hope your answer whoud be no.. I feel this fish should definetly be left in a tank that is specially suited for it...

jason

whats up dean, this is jason i dont know if you remember me or not ben to your store a few times im friends with mike prater, i came in and bought that clown trigger from you about a month or so ago. guess prater beat me to the red goni, oh well. any ways just wanted to say hello, nice to see you here. looks like your giving some solid advice to everyone, this fourum is kind of weird in a way i think. i usually go to www.reefaquariumguide.com people there seem a little more knowledgable. oh yah the trigger is doing great, his yellow is starting to go away on his cheeks and his mouth is getting alot brighter. well talk to ya later.
jason

Hey Jason really glad to hear that trigger is doing well. Nice insertion of foot in the mouth there. lmao. Got a chuckle out of that. That particular trigger you bought was originally purchased as a very small baby in springfield and then traded to me for that larger porcupine puffer we had in the store. He has been around! He must be a very hardy little fella seeing as he has probably been through 5 tanks now total. thanks again Jason .

Back
Top Bottom