Catch you up on my 88gal build...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Subaru4wd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I started this build a few weeks ago but just now registered here. So I will just make this quick and catch you guys up to speed. I am going to copy and paste from the other forum... so lets get started :cool:

Cant believe this tank fell into my lap today, wasnt even thinking of getting a new tank but went to visit a buddy and found he had this thing sitting in his garage taking up space. After alittle talkin I was able to drive home with it for next to nothing! It even came with a broken (but fully operational) Eheim Pro II 2026 canister pump. Its missing the hoses and the latch is broken, but the valve assembly still latches in place and seals, so the pump should be fully operational.

The condition of the tank is questionable, Im not 100% sure it holds water. And it was pretty filthy when my buddy & I picked it up. But when I got it home, it didn't take long to clean it and fill it full of water.

This is what she looked like unloaded and resting on my workbench.
IMG_3157.JPG

Alittle elbow grease and it cleaned up pretty nicely!
IMG_3160.JPG

IMG_3161.JPG

IMG_3163.JPG

IMG_3165.JPG

Looks a whole lot better now!!!
IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3167.JPG

I stopped at the hardware store and got some clear hose for the pump, and i have enough PVC & fittings laying around to plumb up a pretty sweet filtration system.

Stay tuned! Updates as they progress....

Finally making alittle progress on this tank. I felt like I was neglecting my 36gallon and I even lost a Catfish and my blue gourami got ill... so I let this 88 sit and just take a rest, while I save some pennies and take care of my fish.

I have been going to thrift stores and was looking for a solution for my tank stand. Originally i was planning on building a stand from scratch, but I felt I could find a better looking solution for not much more by shopping around. I was thinking maybe two end tables side-by-side or a decent looking dresser.

Last week I came across this. It was 44" long and 15" wide, which was perfect since my tank is 48x14 at the rim. It was also 27" tall and that would put the tank exactly where I wanted it! They were using it as a TV stand at the Salvation army. I looked all over for a pricetag and couldnt find one, the guy at the store said to take it cause it had been there for too long and he was about to move it out of there. So i said how about $20 and he took it. As we were loading it into my truck one of the doors came open and revealed a $50 pricetag!

After I got it home my friend & I set the tank on it and it looked real good. But we knew it wasn't going to hold the tank with water in it. So I set off to home depot and picked up some 2x4 and other nifty pieces of hardware and spent this morning reinforcing the stand!

IMG_3208.JPG

Here is the stand dissasembled and ready to be worked on.

IMG_3211.JPG

This is the front beam built and finished.

IMG_3212.JPG

both beams finished. The 2x4 at the top is just a hair higher than the original board on each end. This way the top will force most its weight on the center legs and not the cheap pressboard stand.

IMG_3213.JPG

This is the center removed. I am hoping this wont fail me and i dont find my 88 on its side anytime soon.

IMG_3214.JPG

The cabinet in the center was screwed in place orignally, but I felt it would be a much better opening to fit my pump thru. So with some additional hardware we made it so the center hinged downward. The pump fits perfectly in the center of the skeleton.

IMG_3215.JPG

The orignal top was scratched and peeling pretty bad at the corners. So I took some leftover canvas i had in the garage, and wrapped the top before we put it back on the stand.

IMG_3216.JPG

Here's the stand complete and in place!

IMG_3217.JPG

Didnt take long to set the tank on and see what things would look like! Here are all the doors open.

Next step is to place the pump and plumbing in there, also to install all the electrical and wire everything propperly. I will be using some PVC for the plumbing and some clear hoses. I need to see if any of the spraypaint i currently own will be safe in the aquarium. Once the pump is in place i plan to fill it with some nasty water I have been storing to help cycling the tank easier.

Look forward to more progress soon!

Making slow progress, but its comming along. I spent a few days working out the plumbing. I wanted to come up with a simple manifold with valves on the intake & outlet so that I can use my pump & gravity to help with water changes.

What I did was used all PVC pipe comming from the pump/filter with a T in each line, leading to a garden hose fitting. For siphoning the tank, i just put a valve next to the hose fitting, and when it comes time to drain the tank, I just hook up a hose, run it outside somewhere, and open that valve. It will create a siphon and start to drain the tank.

For filling the tank, I put a T on the intake portion of the pump, but put a valve between the tank & the pump. This allows me to connect a hose and run that hose to a source of good water, the pump will suck from here and end up filling my tank with good water :)

All of this is to help save my back, as this setup comes to almost 60" from carpet to top, and thats not including any lights yet.

Anyhow, whats all of this without pictures?? :)

IMG_3221.JPG

I had to scratch the plan of placing my pump in the center of the stand. There just wasnt enough room for all the plumbing.

IMG_3223.JPG

Here is a closeup of the manifold. Pretty simple and self explanitory.

IMG_3227.JPG

Everything mounted & connected and in place.

The last step was to complete the pipes that return to the tank. For this I continued to use the same PVC I had for all the previous plumbing, and some Krylon Fusion spraypaint. Once I had the shapes I wanted, I drilled some holes and put 2 good coats of paint down. For the intake I have 2 screens it sucks from, and on the outlet there are 10 holes, 1.5" apart from eachother.

IMG_3235.JPG

Here is a closeup from inside the tank. You can see how i split the outlet. I am hoping I can rotate the legs so I can play with the current. I will most likely have it pushing water away from the intake.

IMG_3231.JPG

And a better shot from outside the tank shows how clean the setup looks. Running from the valve manifold to the top of the tank is clear tubing. Hopefully soon I can come up with a solution for the back of the tank, and you wont see the tube.

Currently I have water in each tube, doing a leakdown test. Found 1 leak and fixed it last night. So far, no other leaks. I am working on some substrates and idea's on scaping the tank. Hopefully by the end of this weekend I have it full of water & decoration and can start the cycling!

Someone else can chime in but I'm almost 100% certain that's 75g. It's definitely a great tank though, I'll be interested to see what you stock it with.

I 100% certain its 88gal. Do the math.

I am thinking of moving my community fish to this tank and setting my 36g for brackish waters.... or filling this 88 with cichlid and keeping the 36 for community.

Not sure yet... still so much. Left to do before I can think of putting fish in it.

There maybe a typo... the tank is 14" wide, making it 87gal. I did the math with the 13" and it came to 81gal.

There maybe a typo... the tank is 14" wide, making it 87gal. I did the math with the 13" and it came to 81gal.

Now measure the inside of the glass for the true volume the tank holds. Do the math. If it was a typo and it is 14" perhaps that changes things a little.

Looks good! The only thing I am worried about is the tank overhanging on each side of the stand, will this cause any stress on the seals of the tank?

Looks good! The only thing I am worried about is the tank overhanging on each side of the stand, will this cause any stress on the seals of the tank?

I sure hope not. Guess time will tell.

I found the substrate I am going to be using. They call it 3/8" salt & pepper, found it at the local gravel supply for $4 a bag. I didn't realize each bag would be 80lbs.... i washed it a few times and started setting up the landscape.

I think i have a pretty good start. I need to add more plants, I am going to be searching for a good size piece of Manzanita to put in the tank. For now, this is what I have to start with:

IMG_3261.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

IMG_3267.JPG

And here's a good closeup of the substrate. I am thinking I will need something with a big mouth to keep this stuff clean!
IMG_3254.JPG

Ok a slight change of plans...

I decided to take advantage of a sale my local fish store was having, and I picked up some live plants. Along with a couple new snails...

With the live plants I knew I had to hurry and get some lighting, so I spray painted my shop light (that used to be white) black, to better match the top of the tank. While I was in the garage doing that, I also spray painted a piece of cardboard with Navy Blue, and some black as well. I used this for a make-shift backing, until I can come up with something better.

I quickly threw together everything, and filled the tank to the top. Right now the water is a tad bit cloudy, but my Filter is setup and I will let it run for the next day or two before I try to cloudy it all up again.

Now that I have the plants, I do not think I will dose my aquarium with pure ammonia.

The larger plants (Cuban Ludwigia) were a pain in the but to keep in the substrate. I may re-scape a portion of my tank and put sand or a different type of substrate for the plants to live in. I picked up 2 anubias and I placed one in a pile of substrate ontop of the rock cave, and I put the other in a chunk of small driftwood I have. I am hoping in the next few weeks while my tank is cycling, these guys will get good and ready, and thrive alittle.

My next step is to get some heaters and air pumps. Here are a few pictures I took after goofing with the tank, its still alittle cloudy but gets the idea across....

IMG_3281.JPG

IMG_3286.JPG

IMG_3287.JPG

IMG_3288.JPG

I think my plan of action as far as the fish go, are to move my Blue Gourami & Pearl Gourami from my 36gallon tank to this tank, and introduce a couple Angelfish as well. As far as bottom feeders, a couple good sized catfish and one healthy sized Pleco :)

Back
Top Bottom