Catching fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koeppen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering what is the best way to catch fish in a planted aquarium so as to not uproot plants.

Just wondering what is the best way to catch fish in a planted aquarium so as to not uproot plants.

Patience and lots of luck.... LOL hopefully someone chimes in here I could use some tips on this as well!

I never seem to have a problem catching fish, maybe I'm just lucky. It also helps if they are in a corner (if you don't have a bow front or something) and put your net there and corner them..if that makes sense? And then come from under them and then turn your net against the glass toward you and slowly raise them up to th surface. It's kinda hard to explain it haha. But I never have any problems and can catch my fish, even small ones in less than 10sec.

I never seem to have a problem catching fish, maybe I'm just lucky. It also helps if they are in a corner (if you don't have a bow front or something) and put your net there and corner them..if that makes sense? And then come from under them and then turn your net against the glass toward you and slowly raise them up to th surface. It's kinda hard to explain it haha. But I never have any problems and can catch my fish, even small ones in less than 10sec.

My cory cats pose the biggest problem... But yes I agree.... Corner them and then try to get them with the net pinned to the glass... Sometimes I have another person help me chase them to my side if its in my bigger tanks

LOL Catching fish in a heavily palnted tank? I shutter every time I know I'm going to have to. I have nine zebra danios(minnows with superchargers) I am fixing to remove from my tetra tank and give to my daughter. I am going to try something wierd. I have a very clear plastic one liter water bottle I am going to modify into a mini-minnow trap. Cut off the top funnel. Turn it around into the body of the bottle, then bait it with some food. Attach to some monofilament line to raise it up. As nosey as those zebras are about looking for food, it should work. Might take a few days. LOL I'll keep you posted.
Caudially, OS.

LOL Catching fish in a heavily palnted tank? I shutter every time I know I'm going to have to. I have nine zebra danios(minnows with superchargers) I am fixing to remove from my tetra tank and give to my daughter. I am going to try something wierd. I have a very clear plastic one liter water bottle I am going to modify into a mini-minnow trap. Cut off the top funnel. Turn it around into the body of the bottle, then bait it with some food. Attach to some monofilament line to raise it up. As nosey as those zebras are about looking for food, it should work. Might take a few days. LOL I'll keep you posted.
Caudially, OS.

That should work just fine. They make minnow traps too you could use. Otherwise get a bigger bucket (Idk your tank size) and try that, or a bigger net.

Luckily, I have calm fish lol- I stuck my hand in my angelfish tank and I literally just scooped an angel out in my hand! They are the most docile fish ever lol. What I do is corner the more energetic fish tho like everyone else said- But DONT start moving the net too fast in there- it will scare them even more. All I do is get my net and very slowly move it around in the water and slowly come up behind the victim lol. It also helps to have 2 nets to trap them with

In my experience, you've only really got one good scoop at them before they turn on crazy-fish mode. It comes down to being patient with that one pass and lining up your shot. I've generally take one shot at them, and then coming back after 10-30 minutes to try to take another shot. I think it's probably better for everyone involved than playing aquarium ping-pong with a crazed, panicked fish.

Another method of mine is to feed them, once the fish comes up to eat the food snatch him up from behind lol. You gotta be fast at this stuff. And as AC said, if you miss the first time they know not to trust that scary net anymore and then sometime later try again...

The way I do it is to put the net in the water, sprinkle some food in, and wait for the fish I'm looking for to come eat, then snatch it up real fast. Just had to do this 6x today...takes a little bit, but its definitely the best way I've found

Will definitely have to try these techniques. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Wait till dark then turn the room and tank lights off. Wait for 15-30 minutes until the are resting. You can then use a torch to stun the fish you want to catch. Shine it at him and in those few seconds scoop him up. Wait 10-15 more minutes and go for the next one. Best way I've found to catch small, fast fish in a planted tank.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom