Catching Tetras from a community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PilotGav

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok I give! ;-)

I have to pull 6 tetras out of my 30 gallon tank, which is also stocked with Rasboras, and a few others.

Needless to say this has been a nightmare. I don't want to stress out them or the others by CHASING them one at a time with a net. And they are FAST little buggers.

Is there a known method of retrieving fish from a tank without stressing them, the others, or MYSELF??

Gavin

If you have a second net, catching them between the two is the easiest! Or if you can chase them with a wooden kitchen spoon or plastic ladle, sometimes they'll go straight into the net. Fish can handle a decent amount of sudden stress like that, hence why they do okay in fish stores being chased all the time and doing water changes. Just keep at it, they'll be okay as long as you're gentle and not rough with them. I know it seems hard sometimes. :cool:

I always use the two net method. Remove any decor that you could snag your nets on.

Ugh, I hate fish hunting! I just had to remove 2 Chinese Algae Eaters from my tank last week. Total pain!

I ended removing all of the decor from my tank and it seriously helped

I have 4 black kuhli loaches in my 29 gallon.wouldn't even attempt to catch them. You could try catching them during a pwc.

Cut a 2 litre plastic bottle in half, drop one half in the tank - guide the fish into it with the net, place net over the end and remove. It was a bloody nightmare removing skittish fish until I found this method. If they are still being skittish, leave it in there for a while or place food in it.

Wait until the lights have been out for about half an hour and the fish are asleep. Get a bright torch and shine it at the fish. This stuns them enough to let you net them. I caught 8 h+t light tetras in 1/2 hour out of a 70g heavily planted tank using this method. Only downside is you then have to keep them in a bucket overnight.

I used to hate getting fish out of the tank. When im alone i still do. But lately my little bro is there so i just have him try. "You have to be faster!!!!"

All joking aside, using 2 nets is a good idea. or try to scare them into a corner, then sweep upwards. Also the shock method is a great. But i am partial to adding some food to the aquarium, then scooping the fish up quick. Granted, youll have to be pretty fast for this, but if you work at petco long enough you develop a fast hand. Good luck!

I usually do a 75% water change and take out all the decor. That should make it easier to catch them and two nets will also help. Good luck!!

Buy the biggest net you can find and use it! Getting any fish with a small net is nearly hopeless!

The best way is to be patient and hope they will swim into the net themselves, twist and pull up. You can kind of herd them into a corner, too.

Back
Top Bottom