cats who love fishy water!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linds3y

Aquarium Advice Freak
Everytime the lid is left off of a tank or when I'm in the middle of a water change, my 3 month old kitten will NOT STOP drinking the water!
Anyone elses cats do this?
Lol I try to tell him, the water is yucky but he just doesn't care lol.
I don't know if this could be hazardous to his health or not ...

Oh course it can be bad for them. Take it from someone that had a cat with kidney failure my animals will not be drinking anything but Distilled bottled water ever again. Not taking any chances here.

Cats We Love and Who Love Our Tanks

Everytime the lid is left off of a tank or when I'm in the middle of a water change, my 3 month old kitten will NOT STOP drinking the water!
Anyone elses cats do this?
Lol I try to tell him, the water is yucky but he just doesn't care lol.
I don't know if this could be hazardous to his health or not ...

Hello dat...

In a house full of indoor cats (8), I have three that drink the tank water. The lid is off the tank because the plants have grow out of it. So, there's plenty of room for the cats to drink. The funny think is, there's a thick layer of duckweed covering the water and one of our white cats comes out with a bright green chin beard.

The water is safe. The fish live it. The cats have been drinking the water for quite a while with no ill effects.

B

Last edited by a moderator:
BBradbury said:
Hello dat...

In a house full of indoor cats (8), I have three that drink the tank water. The lid is off the tank because the plants have grow out of it. So, there's plenty of room for the cats to drink. The funny think is, there's a thick layer of duckweed covering the water and one of our white cats comes out with a bright green chin beard.

The water is safe. The fish live it. The cats have been drinking the water for quite a while with no ill effects.

B

Okay cool!
Haha that's really cute, about your white cat!
Yeah I never really worried about it until my boyfriend mentioned he was worried that the kitten would get sick but he's still be his rambunctious little self! :)

I wouldn't let them drink it if I were you... I don't think nitrates are good for the health. Try googling it and see what you find. :)

I had to get a kitty water fountain for my cat because he wouldn't stop drinking from my 10gallon. We spent months yelling at him every time we saw him climb up on the tank to drink, but nothing worked. The little brat even ate my plant once it's leaves reached the surface. I wouldn't have cared usually but I was afraid he was going to break my tank by sitting on it. Dropped 80$ on a nice dog/cat drinking fountain and never had the problem again. I've read cats don't like still, stagnant water which is why they can be caught drinking out of the toilet, faucet, and our fish tanks. Lol

NekoOo said:
I had to get a kitty water fountain for my cat because he wouldn't stop drinking from my 10gallon. We spent months yelling at him every time we saw him climb up on the tank to drink, but nothing worked. The little brat even ate my plant once it's leaves reached the surface. I wouldn't have cared usually but I was afraid he was going to break my tank by sitting on it. Dropped 80$ on a nice dog/cat drinking fountain and never had the problem again. I've read cats don't like still, stagnant water which is why they can be caught drinking out of the toilet, faucet, and our fish tanks. Lol

Omg yes I catch him trying to drink out of the toilet all the time! I'll have to check out those fountains for the little rascal

Ya totally not healthy for a cat to be drinking Nitrates and all the fish crap that is in that tank.

Cats Drinking from Tank

Okay cool!
Haha that's really cute, about your white cat!
Yeah I never really worried about it until my boyfriend mentioned he was worried that the kitten would get sick but he's still be his rambunctious little self! :)

Hello again dat...

Had a thought. If you're a "water change slacker", then you might want to discourage your cat from drinking the tank water. A tank with a marginal water chemistry could present a problem with high levels of toxins in the water.

I change half the water in my tanks every week, so there's no time for wastes to build up in the water before the next change. A good friend of mine is a vet and when I told him about our cats drinking the tank water, he just laughed and said if it's safe for the fish, then its safe for your animals.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello again dat...

Had a thought. If you're a "water change slacker", then you might want to discourage your cat from drinking the tank water. A tank with a marginal water chemistry could present a problem with high levels of toxins in the water.

I change half the water in my tanks every week, so there's no time for wastes to build up in the water before the next change. A good friend of mine is a vet and when I told him about our cats drinking the tank water, he just laughed and said if it's safe for the fish, then its safe for your animals.

B

Oh I'm not but my mother is a huge offender! She has a tank in the hallway without a lid that the kitten always gets in to, I'll have to find a lid for it to keep him out.

They drink it in the wild, well not tank water but a lot worse. I'm sure they would be ok

Want to try a fun thing with your cat, turn on the bath tub, mine jump in the tub and play in the water, or drinking out of the sink when it's running. They hate standing water but love running water

Yeah, we have one of those fountain water bowl things. The cats love it. One drinks from the bowl part, the other drinks the water as it falling into the bowl (that seems difficult IMO). Lol. Cats drinking from FW tanks doesn't seem so bad, but SW tanks would pose a whole other issue!!

Lol I think the kitten would jump in the bathtub, my older cat has done it :) jumped right back out though hahah.

So these kitty water fountain things seem like a real hit with the cats haha, looks like I'm gonna have to look in to getting one :)

Yeah I'd be so upset if my little guy got sick! I'm not so worried about him stealing a drink from my tanks because I know they're clean but my moms are a nightmare. I would take care of them but I just don't have time :(

Well and a sick kitty cost a lot of money to take care of. And we don't like to see them sick in the first place.

Athaocity said:
I wanna see a pic of your kitty!

Okay! This is Diego :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121016_121351.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121016_121351.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 25
Calypso77 said:
Well and a sick kitty cost a lot of money to take care of. And we don't like to see them sick in the first place.

Oh I know! I got him from the Humane Society and he had a really bad case of ear mites. The treatments have costed an arm and a leg.

Ya when our cat was in kidney failure it was costing us over $200.00 a month.

Very cute kitty you have there. :)

Back
Top Bottom