Causes of and solutions for clown loach shyness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What's the best way to get clown loaches to come out?

• Give them nowhere to hide so they can't

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Give them more places to hide so they feel safe roaming

• Turn OFF the aquarium lights more so they're comfortable

• Turn ON the aquarium lights more so they get used to it

• Add more dither fish to encourage them

• Remove some fish so they feel less harrassed

• Buy bold, adventurous loaches to begin with

• Total voters

Snuffleupagus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've recently added three clown loaches to my 29 gallon aquarium, and for the last couple days I've almost never seen them. Even when the one came out, it only barely nosed two inches from its makeshift den in the back, then fled back in. I've got three very active zebra danios and three equally active tiger barbs that should be acting as excellent dither fish. I know this behavior is hardly unusual for clown loaches, but I've also read many an account of loaches who practically dominate the tank.

Some say that loaches will show themselves more often when they have places to hide -- this doesn't seem to be the case thus far; they hide because they've got places to hide. They don't come out to eat whenever I'm there to see them, and so far the snail I've tossed in as a treat remains ungobbled.

What I really want to know is: Do loaches grow bolder as they become acclimated and comfortable, or is it vitally important to carefully pick very brazen loaches from the store? I can't help wondering if I wasn't in too much of a hurry to get these critters, and neglected to shop carefully. At the fish store today, I noticed there were several loaches that were happily snuffling around out in the open, in spite of the dozen children running around and peering haphazardly into all the brightly-lit tanks. Would it be worth it to try to exchange these loaches for ones made of stronger stuff, if they remain mortally shy for the next week or two?

well.. clown loaches get too big for your size tank.. :? sorry..
as far as shyness goes.. how long have they been in the tank? Sometimes it takes fish a while to get used to there enviroment..

I think the fake anemone scares them...remove it.

j/k

maji's right, those clowns will eventually outgrow a 29gallon, but it'll take a year or two before that happens.
Give them more time. Remember they are bottom feeders so feed them sinking wafers.
3 should be enough for them to feel social...just give them time to adjust.
The smaller they are, the more shy, becuase they are babies and easily startled.

> I think the fake anemone scares them...remove it.

Of course! I should have known that clown loaches would be leery of the presence of their natural enemy, the plastic sea anemone.

> pretty tank!

Thanks! I really like the way it's turned out. I just wish I hadn't accidentally posted three copies of it. (-; (I like your Roman (Grecian?) tank too, btw)

Thanks for the replies. I do hope the loaches will grow less timid, because there's something about those little critters... Maybe it's their unassuming mustached expressions. They certainly shouldn't be scared, because they're twice as big as anything else in the aquarium. Plus they have cool eye spines. I suppose they'll figure it out eventually.

I knew I should have defensively posted that I don't intend to keep them in their current abode more than a year or two. This hobby has (unfortunately?) grown on me immensely, in spite of early nitrogen cycle woes, and I hope to add a significantly larger tank to house monsters like these loaches.

I never see my clown loaches, except for that split second in the morning when I turn the lights on, when they are out scavenging still and are darting back to their log. I've had them for about 2 years...and see them for just a few seconds a day. They are nocturnal, but I agree with everyone else in saying that a. they will outgrow your tank; and b. give them some time. They will become more adapt.

maybe you missed greenmaji's post? clown loaches are too big for your aquarium. they grow to about a foot long. if kept in your 29, their growth will eventually be stunted, which will affect their health and immune system, and they will likely die too young. not fun :(

zen, I think you missed some posts about that :wink:

like everyone else says, they need time to settle in. The other thing I could think of was maybe getting some taller plants or floating plants that woulc help the little guys feel more protected. I am guessing they feel there is a lot of light in that tank since the bottom is white and so it reflects a lot. Most fish feel more comfortable in shaded areas (hiding spots or under floating plants) because they don't need to worry about creatures from above (birds, etc...). Just a thought.

I kept clown loaches in my 55 gal for years and they get a lot less shy with time. A group of comfortable, settled-in Clown Loaches can be rather obnoxious, uprooting plants, digging, and chasing other species just for fun. They got almost tame, splashing, clicking, and begging for food when a person enters the room.

I would say the the most important factors in getting them to relax are the number of Clowns--get at least 4--and the location of the tank. Don't keep the tank in a high traffic area and get a background. A cave or other hideout will definitely be appreciated, too. I sawed a coconut in half and cut a door in each half to make two caves. They like bloodworms a lot. They go crazy eating them. A sand substrate does wonders to get them out. They're always rooting around in it.

I bought them really small and they reached about 4 inches after 3 years. Then I left for Peace Corps and gave them to a friend with a really big fish tank. If you want to keep them long term, you really need a bigger tank.

It's encouraging to hear that ceratophyllum's loaches bucked up. Obnoxious loaches sound like a hoot. I've tried to stock this tank with very active species, and only the loaches aren't doing their part yet. I still am curious as to why some loaches like ceratophyllum's get less timid with time, while Devilishturtles', after a couple years, never even show themselves.

Don't worry, tallaulou, I'm not so cruel that I'd take their hiding places away. I made a couple more caves for them with rocks and pvc pipes. They seem to really love the pipes. They've each chosen a pipe to live in, and the two bigger ones still rarely leave them. The little one, on the other hand, goes out exploring sometimes if I sit there without moving.

Maybe I'll try getting a floating plant. I considered it before, but it seemed like it would make it harder to feed the fish. I'll also put a background on the back.

Do the loaches prefer caves that while still claustrophobia-inducing are big enough for several of them to huddle together in, like the coconut halves ceratophyllum mentioned? I only wonder because everyone says how social they are, but so far my three have stuck to themselves and stay in their separate pvc pipes, even when there are pipes with room for two or three of them.

Thanks for the experiences and advice. This is definitely a valuable communityl

Back
Top Bottom