Cave Aquarium Build Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read a article somewhere about turtleshack that was not good. Said to never order from there company.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I certainly should have been more studious before ordering a live animal from an online company. If they won't send another turtle without demanding more money, and refuse a refund, I'll issue a chargeback and, worst case, I'm just out $60. Live and learn.

Impulse buy at petsmart. I added this river rock background. I dont like the fake look of it but the tank does pop out more without the back open to the outside. Going to keep it for awhile. Maybe one of those foam rock backgrounds would look better? The real flat ones.

Attachments

• 1407629771222.jpg
    1407629771222.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 90
Finally getting some stable temps in my desired range with the fan setup.

Attachments

• 1407847399874.jpg
    1407847399874.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 82
Try turning your back ground around for just the solid black. No fake look really makes your plants and rocks pop but keeps you from seeing through the back of your tank.

Sent from my SCH-R760X using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good tip, ill try that. Wish you had thought of this initially because they sell full rubber rock backings that are 3d, but they go inside the tank which would mean disassembling much of the scaping.

I also just added a small wave maker. It is just enough to give the fish a current to swim into but not enough to blast everything in the tank. 528gph. The fish seem to enjoy it.

Turtle arrived. In a temporary habitat. Kind of hard to see. He's swimming around and has eaten a little. Seems healthy. He's probably tired from shipping.

Attachments

• 1408038713877.jpg
    1408038713877.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 77
Where did you order this one from ?

Turtle source. The shipping package was way better, insulated, air holes, properly labeled with side up arrows, fragile, etc. World of difference from turtle shack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here is the turtle. He seems very capable of gripping the rocks and climbing all over. He's been just exploring the rocks a bit and staying near the top and hiding in some of the crevices.

Attachments

• 1408058665239.jpg
    1408058665239.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 1408058698293.jpg
    1408058698293.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 70
Angelfish, goldfish and turtle?? Is there not incompatibility issues theres?

If the tank is at 75°F, it might work. Looks like a koi angel that can be in 75-82°, and that looks like an oranda goldy, which likes 64-75°.

Definitely an interesting mix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The water temp range should be good for the turtle and the tropical fish. I've been recording periodically throughout the day and it runs from 78 to 81. The goldfish is a sarasa comet that lost his outdoor pond habitat. 7 years of cold nights and 100 degree full sun days has made him pretty hardy I think. In have fans, water flow, and extra aeration to try to keep the water cool. Not going to get colder until the season changes without a chiller I doubt, unless anyone has some tips!

They all seem to get along. No aggressive behaviors. The turtle has only been in there a day, still mostly hides out in the plants and rocks.

Learning as I go.

By no means was i criticising. I know nothing about turtles and nothing about goldies. I was curious more than anything

Angelfish and fancys can be stepping on the line, because they tend to be nippy at the fins, but I've never kept comets, they should be faster to get away. Let us know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom