Centerpiece fish - lonely?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StellaStars

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, the time has finally come for a larger tank. Hopefully by the end of the weekend I'll have something in the 25-38 gallon range.

Obviously I won't be stocking it right away, but I want fish choice to help guide tank choice.

I've been researching fish and considering different stock lists for months, and sometimes I feel like I'm not any closer to a decision than when I started.

I would like some kind of community tank, and fish health and harmony are most important.

Schooling fish seem like easy choices, but fish that stand out and have a bit of personality make a tank so much more interesting.

So, I'm interested in a centerpiece fish. I'm leaning towards a single angelfish or a pearl gourami, but I'm very open to other suggestions.

I would be open to multiples of either of those fish, but from everything I've read they can get aggressive with each other or with other tank mates.

If I have one alone, with other peaceful fish, do you think they'd be lonely as the only fish of their kind?

Any other general information for planning a community tank would be appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Gourami and angel are great centerpiece, I recently got a apisto opal and I have fallen in love (he's beautiful). Other apisto species will work too and dwarf cichlids like Rams.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

My apisto doesn't get messed with and he doesn't mess with anyone ( as far as ik for the past 2 days anyway.)

I had a pearl gourami as my centerpiece for a long time before I moved. Never messed with the ember tetras and harlequins.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Angels and Pearl Gouramis will both need a bare minimum of an 18" tall and 30" long tank. So that's a 29 or larger.

Also keep in mind that angels will eat pretty much anything that they can fit into their mouths (besides Corys, who still stick them with their barbs if they try). So if you had your heart set on Ember Tetras or Endlers, that may influence your decision.

Also consider that paired dwarf cichlids can make nice (if smaller) centerpiece fish. A breeding pair of Rams or Apistos, along with a pleco and a shoal of 15 or so tetras in a 40 breeder, would make a really nice tank.

Also consider that paired dwarf cichlids can make nice (if smaller) centerpiece fish. A breeding pair of Rams or Apistos, along with a pleco and a shoal of 15 or so tetras in a 40 breeder, would make a really nice tank.

Thank you for this! I spent over an hour in the lfs today measuring tanks and stands and I think I'm going with a 29G.

The store employee also suggested a pair of apistos or Rams along with a school or two of smaller fish, and some bottom dwellers. (Their suggestions always tend towards overstocking.)

I do have a pleco that will be going in this tank - right now he's the only confirmed inhabitant.

I would like to express your suggestion more. I don't know much about apistos and I'm not sure if the ones they have are sexed.

Thank you for this! I spent over an hour in the lfs today measuring tanks and stands and I think I'm going with a 29G.

The store employee also suggested a pair of apistos or Rams along with a school or two of smaller fish, and some bottom dwellers. (Their suggestions always tend towards overstocking.)

I do have a pleco that will be going in this tank - right now he's the only confirmed inhabitant.

I would like to express your suggestion more. I don't know much about apistos and I'm not sure if the ones they have are sexed.

I have a 29 with a breeding pair of Rams, four Sterbai Corys, and 21 tetras (an even mix of Cardinals, Rummys, and Black Neons). Despite the somewhat crowded tank, my breeding Rams haven't been all that aggressive towards their tankmates. If I could do it all over again, I would've gotten a 40 breeder and would've done two species of tetras instead of three. Otherwise, the tank works well. Lots of hiding places (heavy planting, caves, etc.) is the key.

If your LFS is The Wet Spot, I know that they sell pairs of Apistos, though I don't know if they're confirmed male/female breeding pairs. You'd have to ask them about that. Apisto cacatouides is probably the easiest and most forgiving of that genus. Apisto agasazzi (sp?) is also not terribly difficult, but my understanding is that the males are pretty aggressive towards females, so you'll want to do a harem tank with that species (one male and 2+ females). If you're doing a community tank, you'll probably want to stay away from Apisto panduro, as they're very aggressive towards other fish. I've never kept Apistos, so my knowledge is limited. Gillie and Brookster both know a lot more than I.

As for Rams, a breeding pair of German Blues are also a good option. Stick with either German Blues or the wild-types. The frou-frou strains (Electric Blue, Gold, Balloon, etc.) have shallow gene pools are and more difficult to keep alive. While I have nothing but good things to say about The Wet Spot's stock quality (I haven't quarantined any of their fish in my 20 high), I would get GBRs directly form a breeder. Mine are from Yunite in So Cal (germanbluerams.com). They supply confirmed pairs, do mail order, and their prices are totally reasonable. And their stock quality is excellent. I ordered a pair in December, USPS screwed up and sent them to me two days late (for a total of five days shipping... in December!). The fish were both alive and are still doing great today. The one thing about Rams is that they need higher temps than most fish (80-86 F... 82-84 is optimal) so, if you want to go that route, take that into account when stocking the rest of the tank. A good diet (quality pellets such as New Life Spectrum, frozen bloodworms once or twice a week, and de-shelled peas a couple of times a month) is also important. Keep the nitrate below 15 ppm and pre-heat the fresh water to tank temp when doing water changes (they hate sudden changes in water parameters). Also wait until at least four months after the tank is cycled and stock with fish before adding Rams (again, they're sensitive).

With a pleco and a pair of either rams or apistos, I'd focus on the middle and upper strata of the tank. I use Cardinals and Black Neons, respectively, to fill the upper 2/3 of the tank, but there are many other options.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

If your LFS is The Wet Spot, I know that they sell pairs of Apistos, though I don't know if they're confirmed male/female breeding pairs. You'd have to ask them about that.

With a pleco and a pair of either rams or apistos, I'd focus on the middle and upper strata of the tank. I use Cardinals and Black Neons, respectively, to fill the upper 2/3 of the tank, but there are many other options.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank you for taking so much time to help me. I really appreciate it.

Yes, I live dangerously close to the Wet Spot. Their website lists the apistos as unsexed pairs, and I didn't think to ask about that when I was in the store. Good thing I'll be back there today.

Although at this point I think I might be leaning to something even more simple - 8 Diamond Tetra, 10 Cardinal Tetra, my bn pleco, and some shrimp.

Hopefully that would be a peaceful, harmonious tank that won't cause me hours of staring and worry. This is supposed to be a relaxing hobby! ;)

Also, sounds like I can always add the rams or apistos at a much latter date if I decide to go that route, which would let me start moving forward on the tank now, and give me plenty of time for more research.

Back
Top Bottom