Centerpiece Suggestions (20 Gal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nomadu571 said:
Wow, they are super beautiful. I wish I could have some.

You can have some, depending on tank mates n conditions. These are my first Rainbows. Shrimp Safe from what I see.

Mine weren't super expensive. Mine are juveniles. They get 2". I saw breeding sized pairs in San Francisco at Ocean Aquarium for $15

My tanks fully stocked, but I would love a pair in future. I'm in the uk, and have never seen those in any fish shop I can get to. One day when the tanks upgraded I will try find some. Again great fish, so interesting to look at and cute.

Nomadu571 said:
My tanks fully stocked, but I would love a pair in future. I'm in the uk, and have never seen those in any fish shop I can get to. One day when the tanks upgraded I will try find some. Again great fish, so interesting to look at and cute.

It took me an hour to get that crappy pic LOL. Lovely fish, but fast fins. They flash fins after every meal. They "rustle" their fins in warning before they flare. Amazing finnage.

Lol truly amazing finnage! New favourite phrase, great finnage. Lol

How about a killifish. AFAIKthey don't need to be in schools.
Only thing is I think they're particular about what they eat? Preferring live foods?
Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in on that one. Definitely a top level fish though.

Here's more info:
Killifish

How about a killifish. AFAIKthey don't need to be in schools.
Only thing is I think they're particular about what they eat? Preferring live foods?
Maybe someone else with more experience can chime in on that one. Definitely a top level fish though.

Here's more info:
Killifish

killifish have HUGE mouths and will eat anything small enough to fit in it, including tetras AND guppies! Yeah, I had guppies and a killifish in a tank together once upon a time (didn't really know what I was doing) and the guppies kept disappearing...

Speaking of guppies, yes I know they are live bearers, and cheap, but they really are pretty and a lot of fun. When I had mine in a 10 gallon back in the day, (once again before I really knew what I was doing) I let the fry be 'survival of the fittest'. The excess fry that survived I would take and sell back to the LFS. You can NOT have guppies with a betta however, the betta will see anything that looks like itself as a threat(Same body shape, long fins, etc).
My two female betta's are enjoying my 29 gallon at the moment, one even made me a bubble-nest today :)

I have Featherfin Rainbows in with my CPDs. They have TINY mouths so you do need to powder up their flakes and will also feed frozen baby brine shrimp. So far I love these fish. Mine are just starting to show color. I have a trio for now. I will add a few more later.

View attachment 53880

That's weird, b/c I was actually looking at Featherfin rainbows! I found on another forum someone mentioning having kept them with CPDs and so I Googled them and they are beautiful fish! I've never seen them around though so not sure where I'd get them. And they'd be OK with CPDs and Panda Corys and they swim up top? Do they need to be in large groups?

I'm still undecided. :) I'm almost leaning toward keeping the tank as is (at least for now) and taking a loss on the empty top half of the tank. :lol:

librarygirl said:
That's weird, b/c I was actually looking at Featherfin rainbows! I found on another forum someone mentioning having kept them with CPDs and so I Googled them and they are beautiful fish! I've never seen them around though so not sure where I'd get them. And they'd be OK with CPDs and Panda Corys and they swim up top? Do they need to be in large groups?

I'm still undecided. :) I'm almost leaning toward keeping the tank as is (at least for now) and taking a loss on the empty top half of the tank. :lol:

I have 3 for now. 2 males and 1 female. Trying them out. They are learning I mean food :) they eat flake well. They filled out and are starting to color up. They have Blue eyes :D

I also am considering rainbowfish for my 29 gallon. They really are pretty, but don't they prefer schools as well?

librarygirl said:

I am starting with a trio. 2 males. 1 female. I hope to add a couple more if these do well. They have been great with my CPDs and Shrimp safe. They do hang near the top mostly. They're peaceful. The males do spar by showing off their amazing finnage.

I am starting with a trio. 2 males. 1 female. I hope to add a couple more if these do well. They have been great with my CPDs and Shrimp safe. They do hang near the top mostly. They're peaceful. The males do spar by showing off their amazing finnage.

Did you buy them locally or online? I have no idea where to get them as I've never seen them here.

They probably need a certain M:F ratio to reduce aggression I'm guessing. A male and 3-4 females would do nicely. They are gorgeous fish. I think I found my new additions providing I can find healthy ones somewhere. :D Do you have a video of them in the tank with the CPDs?

Also , not trying to hijack the thread, but what sort if water parameters do rainbowish require? Like angels like acidic water. Some perfer warmer, some prefer cooler. I am really considering these since they are mid to top dwellers.

I would try a Betta they worked out great on all my community tanks especially if added last great top dwellers beautiful and my tanks have mirrored sides too but they don't bother with it too much and flaring is good exercise makes them feel boss

Also , not trying to hijack the thread, but what sort if water parameters do rainbowish require? Like angels like acidic water. Some perfer warmer, some prefer cooler. I am really considering these since they are mid to top dwellers.

Here's some info on them: Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Threadfin Rainbow

They seem to like cooler water which is good, my tank is at 75-76 for the Celestials and Pandas. My water is pretty soft as well with a PH of 7.2 so that should be fine.

Has anyone ordered from Liveaquaria? If I do get them, it looks like that's my only option of purchasing these as I've never seen them locally, unless someone on AA has any. I wish I could see the actual fish though.

Has anyone ordered from Liveaquaria? If I do get them, it looks like that's my only option of purchasing these as I've never seen them locally, unless someone on AA has any. I wish I could see the actual fish though.[/QUOTE]

I have not ordered from them, but I was at a friends house on Sat when he received an order. We tracked the shipment and it came in 2 hrs early which was nice, everything alive and well except one crab. he ordered 9 different salt water fish/crabs and they seem to be doing well.

I would order from them if I were in a position to buy more fish :fish2:

On your top dweller quandry, ever thought of brilliant raspbora? I had 5 one time and they were really nice with my plants and black substrate. Very peaceful, but I'm not sure if they need more room, I had them in a 55gal. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom