Central American Algae Eaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

James G

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon long central American biotope-ish tank, it has a sand substrate, various sizes of rocks, central American plants, it has a pair of young convicts and some zebra danios. and I'm wondering if there's anything like snails or shrimp that are from central America that can help out with some of the algae? thanks.

Your Convicts would likely consume shrimp and kill snails as they grow. I've read that Plecos exists in some Central American countries. I don't know the specific varieties, but I'd go with a Bristlenose. They don't grow too big and are algae eating machines.
Bristlenoses are tough enough to deal with the Convicts aggression.

Attachments

• 20180119_193325.jpg
    20180119_193325.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 60
thanks I was scared about a pleco because ive been reading and thought that the convicts would kill them

I'm pretty sure that otocinclus are from central america, im not sure they would be with the convicts though. They eat algea, vegies that you put in the tank for them, and biofilm.

I've kept bristlenose with Green Terrors, Festae, Texas Cichlids, Firemouths as well as Convicts with no problems.
It's a good idea to stock all your fish together while they are juveniles. Make a few hiding places and maybe add some driftwood for the BN to naw on.

Clown Plecos are really good, a beautiful fish. They also stay small. I wasn't aware they originated from Central America. Might be a great fit for your setup.

I have a 20 gallon long central American biotope-ish tank, it has a sand substrate, various sizes of rocks, central American plants, it has a pair of young convicts and some zebra danios. and I'm wondering if there's anything like snails or shrimp that are from central America that can help out with some of the algae? thanks.
Hey James, I see posts quite a bit about algae control using algae eating creatures. Let me 1st quote the title of a book, "Everybody Poops". My point in this is for you to consider that anything you put in you tank that eats algae is going to also produce waste. That waste will break down until it becomes nitrates. Nitrates are plant food that will just help algae to grow. There are no critters that won't produce as much algae as they eat. If you like an algae eater because you think it's cool to watch them graze, then go ahead and get one. But algae cleaning unfortunately has to be up to you.

Back
Top Bottom