Central American stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The boring name

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys I am getting a new 75 gal and my dad wants to stock it with some Central American fish, any suggestions? Thanks

Fire mouths would be amazing in that big of a tank you could breed them if you want or make a community of average sized new worlds like
1- Firemouth
1- Blue Acara
1- Severum or something haha.

Here a list of fish you should take a look at thought they are all new world

Green terrors are one of my faves
Jack Dempsey- Very colorful and get to a decent size
Firemouth- Colorful stay smaller have a mild temperament
Convict Cichlid- Aggressive small and pretty
Green Terror- Aggressive but gorgeous fish and are fun as heck to breed
Severum- Cool body shape mild temperament colorful
Blue Acara- Lolks like a terror but a lot less aggressive and gets a little bit smaller on the 6 inch side
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1391747643.839888.jpg
Here's a pic of a green terror haha I highly recommend them!

That's one great looking fish, the other day he seen a blood parrot. (Not my favorite) but he really wanted one of those do you see any problem arising with a stock of
-2 fire mouths
-1 blood parrot
-2 female convicts
-maybe a green terror

That's one great looking fish, the other day he seen a blood parrot. (Not my favorite) but he really wanted one of those do you see any problem arising with a stock of
-2 fire mouths
-1 blood parrot
-2 female convicts
-maybe a green terror
I will have a rocky fake plant setup with caves. A canister filter and led bright light combo

Yah don't do a green terror with a parrot the terror will probably kill him. Also watch out try to get all female firemouths and cons or all makes because I have heard they can cross breed. Also I don't think convicts are the best parrot tankmates they might harass it and nip it a lot.

I personally don't like parrots at all anyway they are kind of mutants in the fish world haha. They do look cool they just aren't my thing try to convince him to do a terror a convict and a Firemouth. At least that's what I would do.

Yea I showed him a picture of your fish and he was awestruck, guess ill do

-2 female fire mouths
-2 female convicts
-1 green terror
Anything else I could try or would this be stocked out? Thanks for all your help

Yea I showed him a picture of your fish and he was awestruck, guess ill do

-2 female fire mouths
-2 female convicts
-1 green terror
Anything else I could try or would this be stocked out? Thanks for all your help

That would work. I have Firemouths in my 75. I got them as a whim and they are now my favorite fish the only down side is they breed every 3 months. I have separated them now cause I have firemouth coming out my ears. They are very good parents.

IMO though I might only do 1 con. They breed allot also and if you have two cons and two firemouths breeding at the same time you are probably in for trouble.

Ok so is there any dither fish I could add so here is my stock
-green terror
-2 fire mouths
-1 female convict
-school of dither fish

That sounds like an awesome stock I'm sure you will enjoy it for dithers look into 5 giant danios. They are good looking and will do well with that stock!

Ok update my dad just found a tank that's a 100 gallons. We are going to pick it up tomorrow the tank has gravel stand light everything heater filter so is there any difference in a 75 to 100 gal if so is there anything else tht could go in? Thanks for all the help guys

What are the tank dimensions? Is it a 4 foot or 5 foot tank because if its still 4 you won't be able to add much else besides more dither fish.

Score! What about adding a Dempsey up in the mix or a small group of the geophagus that don't get too large? Or thread fin acara (heckelli?)

I know right I'm so exited and for only 250 bucks!!? The guy was asking 350 but I asked 250 and guy said sure. I'm going with
-2 fire mouths
-2 female convicts
-1 eb jack
-6 giant danios
-1 green terror

Back
Top Bottom