Centrepiece for 29 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess I forgot to add this before, but my male guppy is quite aggressive to my male platy and sometimes one of my females, will this affect a dwarf gourami or ram?

Guppy and maybe platy but I'm jut planning to do it naturally.

If its from livebearers the parents will eat them all eventually anyway. The only way to keep fry from livebearers is to move the fry or the parents.

calfishguy said:
Is your tank heavily planted.

I have practically no live plants, but a bunch of fake and some good hiding decorations where almost none of my fish can fit, but I'm planning to get some good fry plants

It's correct that there are a lot of poorly bred dg out there, so finding a healthy one can sometimes be difficult. Gbr are the same way. It's not that all rams are overly sensitive, the issue is poorly bred rams. If you want a gbr, then ask at your lfs to see if you can find locally bred ones. They will have been raised in water similar to yours, so they should do better in your tank. If you con't find locally bred ones, ask about where they come and if its from a good breeder. Honestly, it's not uncommon for poorly bred gbr to drop dead in pristine tanks. But, they can do alright if you get good stock.
A couple of other centerpiece options are paradise fish, honey gouramis (small, but usually healthier than gbr), or apistos. All of these fish will eat fry is they can. Plants will definitely help though. You can, of course, also just remove the fry too.

I would recommend either Paradise fish or Apisto. I love my Apisto, he's an awesome dude.

absolutangel04 said:
It's correct that there are a lot of poorly bred dg out there, so finding a healthy one can sometimes be difficult. Gbr are the same way. It's not that all rams are overly sensitive, the issue is poorly bred rams. If you want a gbr, then ask at your lfs to see if you can find locally bred ones. They will have been raised in water similar to yours, so they should do better in your tank. If you con't find locally bred ones, ask about where they come and if its from a good breeder. Honestly, it's not uncommon for poorly bred gbr to drop dead in pristine tanks. But, they can do alright if you get good stock.
A couple of other centerpiece options are paradise fish, honey gouramis (small, but usually healthier than gbr), or apistos. All of these fish will eat fry is they can. Plants will definitely help though. You can, of course, also just remove the fry too.

Wow that's a lot more to think about, are any of these sensitive to mild aggression? As I said earlier my male guppy is a bit aggresive.... So it all really depends on the stock?

skywhitney said:
I would recommend either Paradise fish or Apisto. I love my Apisto, he's an awesome dude.

Yeah I looked them up! Great looking fish!

I have never kept a paradise fish but the Apistos can definitely hold their own against your stock. I have a very territorial Clown Pleco that got evicted from his stump by Charger (my Apisto) only for Charger to take up residence on the other side of the tank after a few days. My clown is still kinda skittish about going back into the stump.

skywhitney said:
I have never kept a paradise fish but the Apistos can definitely hold their own against your stock. I have a very territorial Clown Pleco that got evicted from his stump by Charger (my Apisto) only for Charger to take up residence on the other side of the tank after a few days. My clown is still kinda skittish about going back into the stump.

Ok thanks, will an apisto attack anyof my fish?

Guppyman34 said:
Ok thanks, will an apisto attack anyof my fish?

A single male should be ok ( they are cichlids after all, tempermants can vary dramaticlly). I would steer away from a breeding pair in your tank though.

Back
Top Bottom