Chaeto removal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I trim it about every 3 weeks. It depends on how fast it grows, and how much space you have for it though. You don't want it to get too dense or become light starved. I also roll mine over every 4 or 5 days to keep the stuff on the bottom from being in the dark for too long.

Thanks for the reply. I have been rolling it every few days. It seems to be growing a bit out of the water. And my light is singing the top of it. I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to let it grow as much as it can or trim and throw away. Does it have any effect on nitrate removal?

image-1333585730.jpg

As it grows, it uses nitrate and phosphate. When you trim and toss (or sell) you are exporting it from your tank. I don't think you want to let it get as big as it can - it will start to die off it is gets too dense. The more you have, the more nitrate and phosphate you will suck up, but again, go too much and it will die/rot and actually cause more contamination than it removes.

Back
Top Bottom