Change Cartridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robert.trumpet

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it safe to change my chemical and mechanical filter in my filter now that my cycling has completed? I have an aqueon quietflow 10.

You don't need to change it nor should you unless it's falling apart. If there's lots of stuff in it (gunk, etc.), then just wash it in old tank water, like from a water change, by gently swishing it around.

Even though it's mechanical and chemical, it is still a surface that bacteria live on.

You don't need to change it nor should you unless it's falling apart. If there's lots of stuff in it (gunk, etc.), then just wash it in old tank water, like from a water change, by gently swishing it around.

Even though it's mechanical and chemical, it is still a surface that bacteria live on.

What about the carbon ib it?

So like a "pouch" or "pocket" with carbon in it? But sealed at the top? If so, that's probably okay to change, just be careful with water parameters afterward.

You don't really need carbon unless you're trying to remove medicine from the water. Like said previously, just keep it until it's falling apart because those beneficial bacteria are far more important than the carbon.

I haven't had a filter like that in about 5 years or so but I used to slice it open at the top and dump all the carbon out. When it came time to replace it, I did the same with the next one and put the new one in front (closest to the outflow) and the old one right behind it to build the BB up on the new one. After a couple weeks toss the old one. Without the carbon in it there should be enough room for both for a while. You could always keep the carbon in a ziplock bag if you ever needed it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom