Changed tanks to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matteyecus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I have not been on here too much recently but felt like showing off my tanks after swapping over to sand, one tank I spent ages cleaning the sand for the swap, the second one I rushed with the sand and that was a big mistake, the tank I changed to sand last Sunday, the second tank was late yesterday and so far has had three 50% water changes.

Enjoy, as always feedback would be awesome

Attachments

• image-3676597437.jpg
    image-3676597437.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 302
  • image-2941528595.jpg
    image-2941528595.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 302
Matteyecus said:
Hey guys,

I have not been on here too much recently but felt like showing off my tanks after swapping over to sand, one tank I spent ages cleaning the sand for the swap, the second one I rushed with the sand and that was a big mistake, the tank I changed to sand last Sunday, the second tank was late yesterday and so far has had three 50% water changes.

Enjoy, as always feedback would be awesome

I recently did the change aswell it does take a lot of time cleaning the sand but my thought is sand looks much better so I'm glad I did it :) nice tanks by the way look stunning keep up the gd work

Thanks guys, I think the change to sand is worth it, I will also be putting up more pics of tank 2 as I set it up more, sold my Oscar yesterday due to not being able to have plants(or a nice looking tank).

I was really considering getting black sand for my tank. I like the rocks but my tank is always progressively changing.

iheartmyed9 said:
I was really considering getting black sand for my tank. I like the rocks but my tank is always progressively changing.

I have black blasting sand in all my cichlid tanks. Tho my planted tank.... My son wanted stones ontop of the soil.... It really makes a difference.

Looks good. My tank and plants are new, so the "dying off" process does not go well with white sand.

Update time! Tank number two now has a mix of cichilds and a eel tailed catfish.

Oh and as we all know pics or it didn't happen

Attachments

• image-2685200337.jpg
    image-2685200337.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 160
Hey, I used playground sand from the hardware store $7.95 for a 20kg bag.

None at all, just give it a good rinse in a pillow case before you put it in and you will be fine, alot of people on here seem to use it

Matteyecus said:
None at all, just give it a good rinse in a pillow case before you put it in and you will be fine, alot of people on here seem to use it

Also what about black blasting sand?

That one I can't answer myself sorry, from my understanding it has iron in it, so you could possibly have an issue there, but I am sure some one on here can share their experiences using blasting sand with us.

I've heard mixed info on play sand. J use pool filter sand. $5 for a 50lb bag at home depot.

OBEYtheFISH said:
Also what about black blasting sand?

Thats how I cleaned all mine... I used warm water and 1/2 bag at a time... Rinsed and put in tank. Just make sure when adding ANY sand etc your filters are off.... The particles can harm them.... Once settled them turn your filters on and it will be ok.

Most of us actually use pool filter sand. Quite a few who used the play sand switched over to PFS because it doesn't compact like play sand will.

That whole thing about pockets forming in sand can happen with the finer grits like play sand because of it compacting so tightly. You have to be proactive and sift when you clean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom