Changing Filter Cartridge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itsgracia

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I have had my tank for almost 6 weeks now and was cycling for 5 weeks until it's complete. I have 6 Zebra Dainos. I use an Aqua Tech 20/40 hang on filter on a 29 gal. Now my question is I always read about not changing your cartridge and just rinsing it. Don't you have to change the cartridge every four weeks? Does this rule apply to mines or do I follow the box instructions? Sorry for so many questions but I want to do things right this time because the last time around (about 3 years ago) I did everything wrong that you can possibly imagine. Thanks in advance.

It would probably be fine if you just rinsed it off, that way you can keep your bacteria since they mainly hang out in the filter and substrate. The box is going to want you to buy more of their product that's why they suggest this. I would keep rinsing it till it gets to the point you think it could use a fresh one. That's just my opinion.

Don't change the cartridge unless it's falling apart. The manufacturer puts that replacement schedule on the box to sell more cartridges. Replacing the cartridge gets rid of a lot of your beneficial bacteria, causing your tank to experience a mini-cycle.

I've been running the same sponges in some of my AquaClears for over a year and they're still in great shape. About once a month I clean them out with tank water when I'm doing a PWC.

Ask away. Prevention is usually easier than resolution.

Be sure to rinse/squeeze your dirty cartridge in water that has been removed from the tank during a water change, NOT tap water! There is probably enough chlorine in your tap water to kill off at least a portion (possibly a large portion) of your beneficial bacteria. NOT a good thing.

glassbird said:
Be sure to rinse/squeeze your dirty cartridge in water that has been removed from the tank during a water change, NOT tap water! There is probably enough chlorine in your tap water to kill off at least a portion (possibly a large portion) of your beneficial bacteria. NOT a good thing.

Wow i didnt know this. Thank you. Ill glue this in my mind.

Don't change the cartridge unless it's falling apart. The manufacturer puts that replacement schedule on the box to sell more cartridges. Replacing the cartridge gets rid of a lot of your beneficial bacteria, causing your tank to experience a mini-cycle.

I've been running the same sponges in some of my AquaClears for over a year and they're still in great shape. About once a month I clean them out with tank water when I'm doing a PWC.

Ask away. Prevention is usually easier than resolution.

This x1000

Back
Top Bottom